Collodi: Fated + Strum The Threads = Really?

LupusFerreus

Question

Rules query here. I played against a friend last night and he was using Collodi for the first time. I'm asking some questions for the both of us as we have this niggling doubt we played him wrong - as he seems absurdly powerful.

Strum the threads give Collodi Fast (effectively making him a 4AP Master). Can he actually use Fated to give Fast (but not the 2 damage) to his entire crew if they're in 6"? A whole crew with 3AP seemed ridiculous to us.

So was the other option of giving his whole crew the ability to drop scheme markers at the end of their turns, even if engaged (as it is not an Interact Action, it just happens), but that's for another day.

He just seemed too powerful and it ultimately became a NPE.

P.S. Why does the Marionette's "Tell No Lies" not have a range? Can it REALLY be used across the entire board?

5 answers to this question

I agree with Mister Shine.  The key to Fated is twofold.  For "The Fate of us All", Strum the Threads has to come from a friendly effigy.  Since neither Collodi or Vasilisa have Effigy on their card, this doesn't apply.  For "Follow My Lead", the condition has to come from one of Collodi's own actions, and Strum the Thread is not an action.

So either way, you can't use Fated to apply Fast to the whole crew.  The only way for the whole crew to gain Fast is if they each take 2 damage and are within 6 inches.

EDIT: Although, you could give Collodi either Defensive or Focused and pass that out to the whole crew.  That could be interesting.

So just for a break down in how this works for future clarity:

Strum The Threads

This model gains the following Ability:
Strum the Threads: Friendly Puppet models which
Activate within a6 may suffer 2 damage, which
may not be reduced, to gain the Fast Condition.

Fated

Follow My Lead: Once per Turn, when this model
receives a Condition from one of its own Actions,
all friendly Puppets and Minions within p6 may
gain the same Condition

From the rulebook, actions require AP. Collodi is gaining a condition through an Ability, not an Action, thus may not share it to his crew, they must each suffer 2 damage if they want fast.

• Like 1