Hobby Sofa Podcast Episode 3

Duck21

parental_advisory.gif

Hobby Sofa Podcast Episode 3 It came out a week ago but I forgot to post a link of it here.

In this episode we are joined by And Wiseman (@guildmonkee) from Soul stone train podcast. We will be talking About: Freehand painting, conflicting statements about arsenal decks, 1.5 section on this forum, and more.

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-03_3485

The picture below is a reference for freehand painting advise.

forumtemp031.JPG

Edited by Duck21

Always a pleasure to hear from the Duck/Loxley combo, the two of you compliment one another very well indeed.

Made the poor decision to listen to the podcast while walking the dog, so I couldn't really follow along with the pictures; however, the points on painting were extremely useful, and I'm quite frustrated that I heard your advice on Milliput the day after poorly moulding several Milliput bases.

I've got a feeling that I'm going to find the second half somewhat difficult to listen to; the opening comments about Fuhatsu not fitting the fluff seem a bit offbase to me (in a range which started out with samurai punk zombies, how is a machine-gun wielding roman gangster unacceptable?) Still, it's good to still be able to hear the thoughts of a group that doesn't fancy M2E, especially now that there's an actual game out that can be discussed. Thanks for not simply ducking out, and I'm looking forward to hearing the second half tomorrow.

Glad you guys are enjoying it!

Next episode I'm hoping to talk about how I make my bases, and it's sort of like a beginer's guide. Also I'm getting into Hell Dorado, so you get to listen to me geek out over that.

But on a serious note, we're looking to expand by recruiting a 3rd bum to sit on the Hobby Sofa. If anyone thinks that they can add to our discussions about our hobbies, then please let us know! All you need is Skype!

Am in the middle of preparing my hideous Milliput creations. Still upset that I began before hearing your advice.

Great episode overall and I really enjoyed hearing such a multifaceted discussion.

I can't help putting in that I'm not sure about why the generic counters and focus on bluffing in M2E are a problem. Every system in Malifaux, from Crew selection to Schemes to basic combat, has always involved an element of bluff and of trying to figure out your opponent's intent from little information. The thought occurs to me that this may be one of the reasons for our quality of community; Malifaux has always encouraged getting into the head of the other person.

Rather than viewing the bluffing element of Schemes and their markers as "Mack's baby", aren't we looking at a continuation of what Malifaux has always been about? After all, one of the issues that I've often heard about is that revealing Schemes in 1.5 was nearly always the best option. 2.0 can see the board a bit cluttered sometimes, and for me the opportunity for mind-to-mind contact is well worth the number of markers, but I'm not sure how the change can be viewed as anything other than fulfilment of the game's original intention.

Am in the middle of preparing my hideous Milliput creations. Still upset that I began before hearing your advice.

Great episode overall and I really enjoyed hearing such a multifaceted discussion.

I can't help putting in that I'm not sure about why the generic counters and focus on bluffing in M2E are a problem. Every system in Malifaux, from Crew selection to Schemes to basic combat, has always involved an element of bluff and of trying to figure out your opponent's intent from little information. The thought occurs to me that this may be one of the reasons for our quality of community; Malifaux has always encouraged getting into the head of the other person.

Rather than viewing the bluffing element of Schemes and their markers as "Mack's baby", aren't we looking at a continuation of what Malifaux has always been about? After all, one of the issues that I've often heard about is that revealing Schemes in 1.5 was nearly always the best option. 2.0 can see the board a bit cluttered sometimes, and for me the opportunity for mind-to-mind contact is well worth the number of markers, but I'm not sure how the change can be viewed as anything other than fulfilment of the game's original intention.

You got me all wrong I don't mind bluffing. What bothers me is the new emphasis on dropping markers.

Thanks for the correction then, I should listen more carefully instead of throwing sticks for dog!

Okay I might as well explain what I meant. I believe that dropping markers mechanics was made to support bluffing mechanics. However this requires keeping schemes hidden. And even though revealing schemes is not as necessary in 2.0 as it was in 1.5 most people still choose to reveal them. I suppose the idea was good on paper. Yes there are some schemes which need to be kept hidden, but there’s an option not to pick them.