Yan lo noob thread

Vanilla_Dice

As a result of a tournament win on the weekend, I was awarded an amazingly painted yan lo box set and with them looking so good I figured its time to get him on the table!

i already have izamu as I'm also a leve player, and I have toshiro and yin on the way soon, is there any other models he really shines with? I have seen on his rule that he can also take punk zombies and onryo, are these generally recommended? Help a brother out. . . Although relatively new to a resser master, I have heaps of resser models, as I said, I'm a leve player.

also what kind of cache should I run with him and is it advisable choosing chi to start the game with instead?

I've never paid for Onryo or Punk Zombies while running Yan Lo. He gets VERY powerful as long as things die within 8" of him or the niece. Read his path of bone levels over and over.....that fragile bond ability is great. As well as Hunpo Assault......the trigger goes off on a ram whether he hits the target or misses! So make sure theres a lot of enemy models within 2" of you. Everyone I've used it against can not stand it. On top of the fact he gets 5 AP in that line. Might as well take Datsue-Ba and a desperate merc to pop an onryo out though.

I usually start out with 7-8 stones and put 3 stones into Ash for df+2.....he dies really fast without it.

The canine remains shine the most for me, very cheap models to ware down targets and make them waste their activation on....on top of giving Yan Lo chi when they die. The Ashigaru are very situational, I only use them against melee heavy crews, but they don't seem to stay alive because of their weak but brittle.

I love dogs with him.

They are such good values for the SS and you can get a lot of them. As they die and he just keeps gathering Chi, eventually going Super-Saiyan on everyone.

Dogs... Yummm....

I have not done it yet, but at some point, I want to get a field of Necropunks with him too. Almost as much Chi when they die (3SS models vs. 2SS models), but they are actually very hard and can shred things pretty quick in packs.

A mix of both would be cool, too.

Izamu is brilliant with him, its that much needed damage dealer Yan Lo NEEDS to kill stuff for his chi. And nothing strikes more fear in the opponents eyes then Izamu being absorbed by Yan Lo, only to be resummoned. If I have that 10+ crows, I activate Izamu, then soul porter to insta kill him, then Yan Lo to resummon, then Izamu again. Just have to make sure everything within 8" of Yan Lo or everything falls apart.

Shikome is a nasty model...but when someone kills it, it stays dead. The only thing that makes Yan Lo a rezer master is to resummon just his ancestors. So I'd take Izamu over Shikome every time.

Never taken Shikome with Yan Lo... Could be fun.

I don't know that there is ANY model I would take with Yan Lo "instead of" Izamu, but at some point I intend to try almost everything with him "in addition to" Izamu. :)

For recycling Yan Lo, I prefer control over his death to ensure that I get his card, so when he is low, if I am worried about any sort of shenanigans, I companion Yan, Soul Porter AND Izamu.

Izamu goes first, gets his activation... hopefully kills some stuff. Then Soul Porter kills him then Yan Lo brings him back.

With the companion chain, I do not have to worry about something mucking about between my activations.