Hamlin help

Swamp Critter

I was hoping you could help me with a few brief questions about Hamelin. First off how newbie friendly is he? I'm not a complete novice anymore but I'm still not well versed in the game. Second I've read that Nix wasn't even worth taking way back, has this changed with the update or is he still not worth it. I love his model. Lastly are his pullmyfinger entrances up to date? If there's a way of telling me please let me know. Thanks for helping =].

Hi there!

I don't think Hamelin is as hard to pick up as models like Chompy or Colette maybe, as his unique skills/abilities are rather passive (ie spawn rats and make insig models significant). The rest is about card mechanics, and picking among his various offensive options, nothing really brain twisting :)

Nix is AWESOME. Really is. But he kinda needs to activate early (or do a (0) pop his aura of debuff, when a model is sacced) otherwise he can die pretty quickly. He is really great combined with Hamelin, either as a target of Obedience or as a debuffer before Hamelin goes into melee with a tough model. Hamelin doesn't have a better option I think at this ss cost.

Pull My Finger has a couple of good ideas, but although mentioning the errata/updates, has not amended the entries for the models, so some of the tacticas are now obsolete and cannot be done. I only found it moderately useful.

Have a read through this thread, there are some interesting comments.

I have quite enjoyed playing him with non-standard models like Baby Kade, Candy, Hoarcat Pride...

Good luck with the Void Master!

;)

Second I've read that Nix wasn't even worth taking way back, has this changed with the update or is he still not worth it.

Anyone telling you that, either before or after the errata, was unequivocally wrong.

The standard Hamelin crew has a finite number of lynchpin models supporting a horde of weaker minions (mostly rats with a few stolen thrown in). The lynchpins are Hamelin himself, Ratcatchers (rare 2) and Nix. So taking a Hamelin crew without Nix would be like driving a car with one of the wheels missing. And that's jus thte theory, before you look at what Nix actually brings to the table.

Nix made/makes insignificant models significant (any in crew before errata, 6" aura after errata). Pre errata, this ability (and the identical power on hamelin himself) was the only source of significant models in the standard Hamelin crew. Without Hammy and Nix available the rest of the crew generally stood around looking a bit pointless. Post errata, the limited range aura makes Nix even more useful since Hamelin alone cannot hope to cover his entire crew (although with newly significant Ratcatchers some of the problem is alleviated).

Nix acted/acts as a shepherd for the rats, increasing your ability to move the swarm right where you want it. Nix buffs allies and debuffs enemies in equal measure. Nix gets out of turn abilities. The list of what Nix brings to the crew is extensive.

The challenge with Nix was/is generally keeping him alive given that everyone else knew that taking him down was essential when facing Hamelin. That may have made him a struggle to run effectively, but it goes to show how valuable he was and not how weak. If Nix had been a weak model then no one would have bothered targetting him in the first place.

As for picking up Hamelin, this forum and Pullmyfinger alike tend to vastly exaggerate how challenging even the most unusual masters are to learn. Pick the crew you like the look/sound of, read pullmyfinger to get an idea how best to use them and ask any questions you have here. Don't worry about what other people who have never met you think might be easier or harder for you to learn.

Everyone who posts here will say the same thing about Nix. You wouldn't play a game with Hamelin and not field him I think. The Thread I started ages ago mentioned above really showed how diverse he can be and there where some great ideas that came out of that. Baby kade is probably the best model to take with him as an extra and I've also been taking the Brutal Effigy and running him with Nix to get 5 Dg off a weak strike in melee. He is a great master to have because he is a little bit different than the others, There are a few ways to play him, you can sit back and cast and let your rats go crazy or you can use him in a Alpha type strike with his black staff and finish off masters who still have 6 or 7 Wds and think they are safe. Have fun and enjoy.