Ending movement inside another model

quindraco

Question

11 answers to this question

Models with Flight, Float, Pass Through, etc may not end its movement overlapping another models base.

When models with Float and Flight move, they are immune to disengaging Strikes from all models except those that it was engaged in melee with when it began its movement.

So what's the answer to my question? It cannot end movement overlapping another base, but it must end movement overlapping another base in this scenario. So how does it resolve?

It shouldn't come up. There are only two situations in the game when it ever could....Perdita's avatar (which is clearly spelled out on that card) and if a Clockwork Trap were to launch it's Primed attack at you (but even then it has enough range that it shouldn't create an overlap.

It's one of those things that you really can't define what to do, just use common sense, place the model at the closest place you can that causes the least disruption to any models that may be in the way.

It shouldn't come up. There are only two situations in the game when it ever could....Perdita's avatar (which is clearly spelled out on that card) and if a Clockwork Trap were to launch it's Primed attack at you (but even then it has enough range that it shouldn't create an overlap.

It's one of those things that you really can't define what to do, just use common sense, place the model at the closest place you can that causes the least disruption to any models that may be in the way.

It can easily come up. For example, to reiterate, a flying model taking a disengaging strike while inside another model (flying models are not immune to these from enemies they started in melee with, but melee ranges can be long enough for the strike to resolve while the model is inside another). There's no rule covering it? I've only had one game so far but it came up, and my opponent and I couldn't decide whether to use Least Disturbance from Warmachine (move the model the least possible distance to get it out of the base) or simply rewind the offending move until the model could legally be put down. We ended up doing the latter.

Oh, I see what you mean....since the disengaging strike is taken at the end of the model's melee range, the flyer could start moving before the strike happens. Sorry I didn't think of that.

I don't honestly know, I would just place it as best I could using 'least disturbance' as long as it was placed still in the melee range of the model that stopped it.

I think this is covered in the FAQ but with Spirits:

Can a Spirit disengage through a wall to avoid a disengaging strike?

A model can block a model it is engaged with when that model moves out of its longest melee range and/or its LoS. If the Spirit is blocked it will return to the position it was in before it entered the impassible terrain. (see the Spirits Clarification section on the Rules Errata/Clarifications page for an example)

The situation with the above flying model is quite the same ruleswise. So I think the last legal position (b2b with the other model) would be the spot where the flying model should be placed in case a disengaging strike hits it while the model was flying through another model.

Edited by Csonti

Oh, I see what you mean....since the disengaging strike is taken at the end of the model's melee range, the flyer could start moving before the strike happens. Sorry I didn't think of that.

I don't honestly know, I would just place it as best I could using 'least disturbance' as long as it was placed still in the melee range of the model that stopped it.

We went with "rewind the move" because least disturbance might move the model out of melee, which seemed to be against the spirit of a disengaging strike. If the book doesn't cover it, I guess we'll use this. I'm just getting started with Malifaux, but are there official tournaments? It would be nice to know before going into a tourney the right way to resolve the situation.

If you're playing the game with the spirit of the rules in place you would stop the model before it ran into the situation and end its movement BEFORE it reached a point where it would be inside the other model.

If you're trying to game the system you'd move it as far as you could then end it BEYOND where you could have moved in the first place.

I'm going to say the first option is the one players should be using for the 'least disturbance'. ;)

Basically, if a model's move can't clear another model it should end its movement before encountering the model, in base contact with that model.

I think this is covered in the FAQ but with Spirits:

The situation with the above flying model is quite the same ruleswise. So I think the last legal position would be the spot where the flying model should be placed in case a disengaging strike hits it.

I agree, it seems to be the same situation in essence. I'll stick with this rule until I hear otherwise.

If you're playing the game with the spirit of the rules in place you would stop the model before it ran into the situation and end its movement BEFORE it reached a point where it would be inside the other model.

If you're trying to game the system you'd move it as far as you could then end it BEYOND where you could have moved in the first place.

I'm going to say the first option is the one players should be using for the 'least disturbance'. ;)

Basically, if a model's move can't clear another model it should end its movement before encountering the model, in base contact with that model.

Stick with this rule since that big star states that Keltheos is an official Wyrd Rules Marshal.