Base inserts? Im curious.

count_zero99uk

Im thinking of picking up some base inserts to finaly kick me into painting my malifaux stuff i bought last year :( (yes im slow)

Ive never messed with these kind of things before.

Can someone show me some pics of the box contents? And how you go about useing them.

I saw the ghost town ones and thought they would be excelent for my Ortega Gang.

Looking through now for a set for my Lilith set.

it's easy, just glue them into your plastic bases you got with your models.

then it gets a bit tricky. you have to remove the tabs from your models and pin your models through your base and insert.

if you just glue the models on the base, chances are (if you play) that they'll fall off due to the constant handling of the minis.

(if you do not play, but use them just for show - I guess you could do without pinning)..

I would highly recommend pinning both the base to the insert and the figs to the insert, as gravity has more then once separated my inserts from my bases. Also someone gave me a great tip about pinning when I asked about assembling my guild hounds(sorry too tired to look up who) but it was just cutting down the tab just enough to make the tab your pins and drilling a slightly smaller hole in the base in stead of trying to drill holes in feet and then pinning to the base.

edit:here's a couple of my figs on inserts

post-10673-13911924302583_thumb.jpg

nino right now is my personal fav using an insert

post-10673-13911924304051_thumb.jpg

and the center DM is on an insert

post-10673-13911924304642_thumb.jpg

post-10673-13911924302065_thumb.jpg

post-10673-1391192430321_thumb.jpg

Edited by ommadon

Cool, so pin to mini and base.

So if i put long pins in i can have them going straight through and then bend them tight on the underside of the base before filling with super glue or similar.

Ordered some, ill let you know how i get on.

yes, that's what I meant in the first post. It saves you twice drilling :)

you can bend the pins, although I use thin paper pins with small heads. Just cut them to the length I need and the head stops it going through.

Great, i was thinking of getting these bases for Lillith, there not the inserts more a complete resin base - http://www.fatspider.co.uk/shop/category_14/Cracked-Earth-_-Rocks-Design-Lipped-Bases.html?sessid=P2oKbKqPGoUOybTFczX8Ot45cG90JA8GImcQfgR7Cz5Q4fB2WIRpBwoBmPZpF0qA&shop_param=cid%3D%26

And maybe trying to get some kind of lava effect. Any opinions?

Ill be wanting to pick up some of the middle age Nephilim - Young i think, are they on 40mm bases.

In my experience these "one piece" bases+inserts usually come with a flat bottom (don't know for sure about these ones, though) - so you'll have to remove some material from the bottom in order to accommodate the head of the pin (or in your case the bent part of the pin).

lava effect could be made on these bases by painting.

and yes, young nephilim are on 40mm bases...