Painting glow effects and similar effects

Mournafein

@Mako Alright... So I base coat... Then coat as the color I want it to be shadowed... Then coat with the color I want the object to actually be... Then wash on the highlights?

If I've got the order wrong, please let me know. ;)

You've been an incredible help, thus far, as has everyone else.

Base coat first yes, then wash or paint the shadows. This is basically what you've been doing so far. The new bit is to carefully paint the base coat back in on the main areas,but not in the shadows. Then to add on small areas of carefully painted highlights, if you wash these they'll run everywhere so you need to paint them on in thin layers, and only on the highest points of the area.

You can then put another thin wash of the shadow colour on after, to tie it all together, if you want to.

Generally, the higher up the highlights you go, the more carefully you have to paint them on to avoid them spreading onto the other areas. Washes are good for the recessed shadows as you need less control for that.

Although of course, for glowing stuff, your shadows are the brightest colour, and the highlights the darker one. Same process, just the colours the opposite way round.