Cassandra vs mature nephilim

ush

Question

Greetings fellow malifaux fans,

i have a question regarding the timing of triggers.

Yesterday i played a game against a friend of mine with a Colette crew. The following situation occured:

Cassandra cast the spell 'breathe fire' while in melee with a mature nephilim. I got my Ca trigger called 'swirl of motion' allowing me to be pushed 4" away from the mature nephilim.

The question is this: i damaged the mature nephilim with my melee spell thus triggering black blood. Do i get to push away because of my Ca trigger before suffering a wound from black blood?

According to my friend i first get the damage and then get to push away... i don't know for sure. Any and all help would be much appreciated...

4 answers to this question

Depends on when a spell is successfully cast - is it after meeting the casting total or after the target fails to resist?

My understanding is that it's successfully cast after reaching the casting total, in which case you would cast the spell, push up to 4" then inflict the damage. If it's only cast successfully once the target fails to resist then you would inflict the damage on the Mature and receive the splash damage from Black Blood before you push.

It's probably safer to just stay more than 1" away from the Mature - Breathe Fire is :melee2 when engaged so you can get out of the Black Blood range

Cheers

Rob

Black Blood isn't a trigger. It automatically happens when the damage occurs. However, Swirl of Mation says "immediately after successfully casting the spell" or something along those lines, so it happens before the damage flip (you can't wait to see the flip either, you push first then flip for damage). Cassandra will be long gone by the time black blood splashes around.