Explosive Burst, blasts and Flaming Armour

Argentbadger

Question

I played a game last night at 25 soulstones; I took Sonnia Criid and Justin played Kaeris. We came upon a combination of rules where the outcome was unclear, so I put it out to the wise people of the forums for expansion, exposition and explanation.

The background:

Sonnia Criid has the Explosive Burst trigger on her Flame Burst spell, meaning that if :blast are placed then they can be put 2” away from the target model.

Kaeris has Flaming Armour, meaning that (among other things) she ignores damage from :blast.

The event:

Sonnia casts Flame Burst at Kaeris, getting severe damage and triggering the Explosive Burst (the casting total has been cheated and stoned out of sight; it’s a straight flip for damage). The :blast are placed away from Kaeris to blow up her minions; Kaeris herself is not hit by a :blast.

The question:

Does Kaeris’s Flaming Armour allow her to ignore this damage, as it is ‘caused’ by a :blast, or does it have no effect (apart from the Armour itself) since she hasn’t literally been hit by a :blast? We played that she took the damage as the :blast did not hit her. For what it’s worth, in my opinion this did not affect the course of the game (which was a fairly comfortable 8-2 victory for Sonnia Criid).

Thanks in advance to everyone for their thoughts.

4 answers to this question

The target of the shot is not hit by the blast. Only models that weren't the target of the shot but then end up ender the blast radius. So if Kaeris was the target her armour doesn't come into effect.

If it were otherwise Rasputina would have a big problem against Freikorps who all ignore damage from blasts.

Thanks very much for the swift answer. Is this explicit in the Rules Manual? This particular possibility didn't even occur to us so we did not look for it. I see what you mean about it being a necessary part of the game for some crew match-ups though.

This actually adds another related question though. If Kaeris is hit as the target (so her ability to ignore the :blast does not come into play as described) but is under the :blast, can she use Flaming Armour to heal a wound at that stage? Or is the :blast simply not relevant for her at all if she is the target?

Thanks very much for the swift answer. Is this explicit in the Rules Manual? This particular possibility didn't even occur to us so we did not look for it. I see what you mean about it being a necessary part of the game for some crew match-ups though.

This actually adds another related question though. If Kaeris is hit as the target (so her ability to ignore the :blast does not come into play as described) but is under the :blast, can she use Flaming Armour to heal a wound at that stage? Or is the :blast simply not relevant for her at all if she is the target?

Page 46 of the manual.

Any model orther than the initial target...
So the initial target takes damage from the weapon but not from the blasts that the weapon generates.