Newb alert

Gdead909

Well first off let me say I am not new to this type of gaming just new to malifaux. I played 40k than moved to warmahordes (which I still play) but now my buddy and his best friend the local henchmen has started pushing this game and I was blown away by how cheap it is.

Ok so now down to business. Whats a good arcanist to start with? I look and think I decide but I keep getting drawn away by my shiny ball syndrome. I know I will either play a rezzer or an arcanist so I thought I would get your guys opinions.

Really depends on the play style you want to go with.

Rasputina has lots of battlefield control and direct damage possibilities, but is fairly slow.

Ramos is a summoner, with some damage dealing capabilities and is also fairly slow.

Marcus is fairly mobile buffs friendly beasts (which he can use as body shields) and can control another models during his activations.

Collette is the most mobile master, is able to summon minor models (Mechanical Doves) and produces pant loads of Soulstones which improve your chances of getting actions to succeed.

I have heard the toughest to play are Ramos and Marcus, and with the ladies being the easiest.

Both are a good place. Ramos's is good meaning you will likely use all the models. mobile toolkit and electrical creation are a must for him. His avatar is also amazing.

Marcus's boxset is fine, you could use all the models but most choose not to. Instead a lot of marcus players buy just blisters. For him i would reccomend 2 night terror blisters, kaeris, student of conflict, jackalope, shikome. This will give you options for 25-35ss games.

Kaeris is just a good edtion for acarnist, she can do board control or spam damage.

2 guys you picked are good but not as straight forward to play.

From my playgroup and friend 3 out of 4 that started playing are playing Arcanist. And one was playing them but change.

We have a nice collection of model and Rasputina would be a clear choice to learn the game. (in my oppinion). Ramos is a good summoner and is a really good model. But you will need to learn how to use his summon wisely.

For the collette the only one i play. I think she is really good. But she is not playing the same way has you play alot of other model. Her big point is the mobility and the way she can get her objective fearly quickly. I think with her you can buy only the box a set of dove and the corryphee and you are set to play some 35 ss games.

For Marcus sorry i cant help.

Most people I know who started with arcanist used Ramos. I started with ressers and now play collette although have used all arcanists barring Marcus.

I would say Ramos is a good bet but if you are also considering resser then either mcmourning or seams, all are reasonably simple to learn but have options to develop.

If your used to other war gaming I would stay away from Colette (and others such as dreamer, Hamelin etc) until you have the ethos of the game down as its not all about killing the opponent (which can be a bit tricky to get the hang of!)

I would say go for the one you like the look of, backstory for, the best

Kaeris is a henchman so if she leads a crew there are different rules for hiring and you have a limited range of models to chose from (fire gamin, gunsmiths, soulstone miner and union miners off the top of my head) I have had some success with her leading crews but not as good as a true master. That said kaeris and the gunsmiths both work well bolstering other crews so it's a good box set to consider

Ya it seems like even though she has limited models that they still might be a force to be reckoned with. The miners being off the table while tunneling is helpful and all the burning tokens seem to be a good way to make ur opponent choose between wounds and slow effects.