Nicodem Vultures and Bring Back

merlinman

Im just wondering why Nicodem's vultures have this ability

(1) Bring Back: This model’s connected Master picks up 1 Corpse Counter within 3” of this model.

I think this is pointless because it was ruled Nicodem cant use counters on him at all from any spell and was ruled that way from searching forums. I guess maybe it was thought of to let nicodem use counters he carries when making vultures then they changed their minds or is it for when Nicodem dies he drops a ton in 1 spot?

or am i just sounding crazy and making things up

I'm pretty sure that he can cast reanimator on counters that he is carrying. He just can't cast Arise on the one's he's carrying so this is so that the birds can collect counters farther then 6 to 12 inches away and make them available to Nico. That's how I understand it.

I'm pretty sure that he can cast reanimator on counters that he is carrying. He just can't cast Arise on the one's he's carrying so this is so that the birds can collect counters farther then 6 to 12 inches away and make them available to Nico. That's how I understand it.

That's pretty much how I play it too. If this isn't the case, then sadly my Vultures just went the way of the Dodo (Perch + Eyes & Ears is nice, but there's only so much you can do on the terrain generally seen in Aus).

I think this is pointless because it was ruled Nicodem cant use counters on him at all from any spell

Where was THAT ruling? An arise pulse is certainly something that does not affect things that he is carrying as pulses do not affect their caster unless they state otherwise, but Reanimator simply states that the counters must be within 6 inches. I have not seen any ruling that ever stated he could not use counters he is carrying.

He can use counters he carries for anything other than Arise.

Still, compared to the Canine Remains having a (0) to send all of their carried counters to their master the Vulture ability leaves much to be desired.

True, but the dogs still have to be carrying the counter, whereas the vulture can just be near it, and since height isn't taken into account, your vulture can fly 10"(?), perch on anything it wants, send back a corpse counter, and be out of reach for attacks.

Better than dogs as collectors...

I still think canines are better... With up to two move actions they move further than the vulture and can pick up and send any number of counters. It's nice they can send back a counter when needed, but the main reason to take them is the extended spell range for Nicodem.