Strategy and Scheme overlaps

TranquilitiesEnd

Question

Hello everyone, this is my first post, and I have a question about strategy and Scheme overlaps.

I was playing a game the other day and the following situation came up.

My Opponent got Plant the Evidence as his strategy, which means he can plant just two pieces of evidence inside my deployment zone for the full 4vp.

He then wanted to choose the scheme Breakthrough, which he needs to get units inside my deployment zone.

Is this legit?

I argued that it was not, because both strategy and scheme require his to be within my deployment zone, and the rules state that 'Terrain features and models can only be nominated by one Strategy and one Scheme per player at any time.'

After reading that line through though now, I am not sure if that means you can choose-

- just 1 scheme to overlap the strategy, but never 2 schemes that overlap, because of the word 'and', not 'or', or if it means

- you may have no schemes overlap any strategy or other schemes.

And, if it turns out you can have one strategy and one scheme overlap, then is it legit for me to choose Hold Out if I've been assigned Distract as my strategy?

2 answers to this question

So my two cents:

Deployment zones are not terrain features, so Hold Out + Distract = OK

Plant Evidence does not actually nominate any terrain features, and you could therefore Stake a Claim to something you also Planted Evidence on.

A scheme can overlap a strategy, but not another scheme because of the word "and."