non-totem companion (master)

monstar3014

I know in many threads since last year when you have a master with a henchman both models can have totems attached. When you attach a totem to the henchman the companion changes from companion (master) to companion (model this model is attached to.)

My question is for non-totem models like the Gate Caption or the Guild Hounds that have Companion (master.) It seems like I saw either on this forum or Ratty's forum or somewhere where a Rules Marshall said that you declare the model (either your master or henchman) it's companioned to and it remains companioned to that model for the entire game.

It seems like if I hired Lady Justice and pulled Lucius as a henchman and went with his elite guard crew that I could still companion the Gate Captain to the leader of his special forces.

Can anybody point me to the right thread? I keep searching, but all I keep coming up with is the totem question and I'm more concerned with the non-totem models.

If this helps jog any kind of memory, in the thread the Marshall was saying that the companion (master) rule was one that carried over from the first book before Henchman rules were established, but wasn't corrected or elaborated on in Rising Powers.

If anybody has come across that ruling or another way to search through forums I'd appreciate it. I've tried the search bar on wyrd and searching through google. I'd like to have it saved as a favorite so I don't lose it again.

Your search-fu is weak! ;)

I think this is probably what you're looking for, or at least hits the point:

Thread 1

Thread 2

Second one doesn't have a Marshal answer on the specific question, but nilus does address it and I trust him pretty well.

The important point is that the Companion (Connected Model) is only in reference to Totems, at least as presented.

Awesome! Thanks for the first thread. I keep coming across the second one and that's the only one I can find now. I wonder though because when Wyrd Errata's something they correct all instances of the ability in question, like when irresistable was updated and with obey being once per round. Since the ability in question is companion (master) wouldn't that carry on to all instances of models with companion (master) instead of just some models?

I'm not saying that one gate captain or guild hound can cause the master and henchman to simultaneously activate with companion (master), but my reading of the rule is that you would decide which model (master or henchman) the totem, the hound, and the captain were attached, and they would remain attached to that model throughout the encounter.

Awesome! Thanks for the first thread. I keep coming across the second one and that's the only one I can find now. I wonder though because when Wyrd Errata's something they correct all instances of the ability in question, like when irresistable was updated and with obey being once per round. Since the ability in question is companion (master) wouldn't that carry on to all instances of models with companion (master) instead of just some models?

In this case, the ability isn't really Companion (Master) - it's just Companion. The (XXX) is a specifier that shows what it's associated to, and that's model-specific.

In this case, the ability isn't really Companion (Master) - it's just Companion. The (XXX) is a specifier that shows what it'

s associated to, and that's model-specific.

Not trying to be difficult, but the ruling would only change the effect of companion (master.). (Kin)(family)(showgirls) are all clear and unaffected. Companion (master) changes to companion (model this model is attached to) when its attached to a henchman. Shouldn't companion (master) reflect that change for every instance it shows up instead of just on some models.

So Lucius can't companion with Guild Hounds?

I assume they still can so long as he's leading the crew. Which maybe you meant, but this is spiraling towards one of those that has a chance to get way more confusing than it needs to be :)

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Companion (master) changes to companion (model this model is attached to) when its attached to a henchman. Shouldn't companion (master) reflect that change for every instance it shows up instead of just on some models.

If we did read it like this, it would break the Companion (Master) on the Hounds completely. Since the Hounds don't attach, Companion (model this model is attached to) would be useless for them.

I disagree on this point. They won't have magical extension but itd still fit the way I read it. They'd just companion with lucius like the totem does.

"Attach" is a totem-specific concept. A Guild Hound doesn't attach to any model, and can never be attached to any model. So if it were "Companion (Attached Model)" there is no attached model that meets the requirements for the Companion.