interior Terrain Setup

the imp

Question

I bought a TerrainLinx pdf that I'm excited to build, but I'm confused on how terrain should be set up for interiors. How many walls and of what length am I permitted to put down on my turn? How much furniture? Should we agree before we begin on whether multiple levels will be permitted? Please point me to official rulings as often as possible.

7 answers to this question

I have quite a few worldworks pdf's that me and my friends use in our games.

We don't setup terrain in turns warhammer style though.

I will just build as interesting a battlefield as I can (as I do all the terrain building for us)

then I explain any points of interest (severe terrain, height , and levels) to my friends.

Before play I let them choose wich table side they want to deploy in.

Makes things much smoother for us , as the terrainlinx can be pretty fiddly to work with at times, and it is better that I do most of the handling(one of my friends is pretty clumsy we call him hamhands for a reason).Just make sure to cover a lot of the table with terrain and break up line of sight across the board.

Plus with terrainlinx you can build some breathtaking environments when planned and built correctly, harder to do quickly on the fly.

Terrainlinx are great for the diversity you can build , just be ready for hours of commitment cutting foamboard and cardstock , and a small fortune in ink cartridges if you dont have cis mod on your printer.

As far as official rulings I dont know of any outside of the spirit interactions with buildings threads.

Interesting. I can definitely see how assembling a whole layout could be problematic. What about setting up rooms in advance, similar to Space Hulk? We could then alternate placement of rooms, hallways, and furniture elements. I would like to preserve this aspect of the game, it enhances things in my opinion.

Edited by the imp

Prefab rooms could work, depending on if that allows flexible setup. I'd suggest making few-to-no spots narrower than 2", just so everything can get through, but otherwise, malifaux seems fairly able to support high terrain density.

I'd also suggest few walls much longer than 8 or 10", just because it can start to dominate the flow of the game.

Good point. Though I think there's something to be said for hiring a crew that is well suited to the board. And we have rules for breaking walls. :D I think I'll try to accommodate 40mm bases often and make sure that many areas will allow a 50, but leave plenty of spaces that are only accessible to 30s without some smashing.

A rule I was toying with was making doorways that were too small just count as severe terrain: the bigger things can fit-- but only sort-of, so they're slower getting through (basically, 1.5" penalty for medium bases, and 2" penalty for large, since the penalty is as long as their base is on the terrain piece, which conveniently means that the bigger the model, the harder time it has getting through).

Personally, unless it's part of the scenario, I try to avoid breakable scenery, as I can never keep track of it.

Personally, unless it's part of the scenario, I try to avoid breakable scenery, as I can never keep track of it.

One of the many nice things about TerrainLinx is that the walls are cardstock and they just slot into posts. I can either remove destroyed sections or replace them with pieces that indicate the breach exists. In a pinch, I can even draw on the broken section and print up a replacement later.

I can see severe terrain applying for trying to fit through a space 10mm smaller than the base. It's not canonical, but if the other folks I play with are okay with it, we may use it.

One of the many nice things about TerrainLinx is that the walls are cardstock and they just slot into posts. I can either remove destroyed sections or replace them with pieces that indicate the breach exists. In a pinch, I can even draw on the broken section and print up a replacement later.

I can see severe terrain applying for trying to fit through a space 10mm smaller than the base. It's not canonical, but if the other folks I play with are okay with it, we may use it.

When we use Terraclips, we play it so you break open a gap 3 inches wide. We use counters placed in front of the destroyed wall to show that that wall it is in front of is actually gone. It's quicker and we don't have to spend a long amount of time slotting the walls in and out.