Guardian 'Protect' and Wounds

Baron|Roboto

Question

Folks,

I'm hoping I can get some clarification on the Guardian's 'Protect' spell - revolving around how wounds are delt against models that would be killed:

A model with 2 wounds suffers a hit that deals 5 damage. Does this translate to 2 wounds (to bring the model to 0 wounds), or 5 wounds (to bring the model to -3 wounds)?

Many thanks!

Edited by Baron|Roboto

8 answers to this question

Thanks for the responce!

So by that reasoning, since the model can only suffer 2 wounds - the Guardian can then elect to suffer the 2 wounds instead?

Or are the other remaining 3 wounds in some form of psuedo-queue, whereby once the two wounds are taken by the Guardian, the other 3 are then applied - meaning the Guardian will need to suffer the original 5?

What head case said. The reduction of wds a model based on the number of wds left on a model is basically the last step of damage.

Roughly it goes like this

Model takes X damage

X damage is reduced by effects like Armor and such

Damage converts to wds

wds are reduced(via things like soul stone use) or moved(via thing like protect)

remaining wounds are applied to model up to the number of wounds remaining on the model.

The only effect in the game that I can think effects the last step is Hard to Kill.

One more question, it was raised today in a game:

Can i use soulstones to prevent, and if I dont prevent enough, transfer to the guardian?

My gut says that I think you would have to move the wds to the Guardian before you could stone it but I don't have the book in front of me or the card so I can't check RAI. Might be one for the Marshals honestly.

Well, to be picky about it, a Wound prevention flip technically happens before Wds are inflicted. There is this whole thing on the forum about how if your prevention flip brings wounds to 0 then you suffer no wounds instead of 0 wounds, and any effects that rely on after damaging fail. That's a whole other bunch of stuff though

The rules manual sez

A model with the Use Soulstones ability can discard on soulstone to prevent Wd it is about to suffer. Before the model suffers Wd, <snip>

Meanwhile the Guardian's Protect spell states

When the the target model suffers Wds

So I think the timing is Prevention Flip, and then the effects from Protect resolve.

tl;dr Stone then Gaurdian.