Buhallin

Question

Had an interesting interplay come up last night. I'm pretty sure we played it right, but wanted to drop it out there for verification, and because it makes for an awesome mental image.

Scenario: Seamus avatar vs. a Piglet, in woods (severe). Piglet activates in range of the avatar, and fails the Morale Duel for Terrifying. Seamus heals one for the failure, Piglet Stampedes, charging across and past Seamus, hitting him for Severe (which does 1 damage because of Armor).

Now, here's where it gets odd - at this point, the Piglet ends an action in Seamus' Terrifying, and so has to test again. It fails, so Seamus heals again. It charges him, does 1 damage, ends its move, has to take another Morale Duel. Wash, rinse, repeat for as many AP at the pig has (opponent was hoping for the trigger to knock Seamus off the Claim Jump).

The main oddity there is the repeated Morale Duels allowing Seamus to heal off each. But since the Piglet never actually Falls Back (it Stampedes instead), and hasn't passed the Terrifying check, we couldn't find any reason why it wouldn't have to take the test, and thus give Seamus the point of healing for failing it.

But even more than that, it's a really awesome mental image with Seamus trying to grab this terrified piglet as it scrambles around his ankles, nipping at him the entire time. Greased pig race, anyone?

6 answers to this question

When stampeding they Swine Dash, not Pig Charge. Also, they inflict +1 damage during a Pig Charge or Swine Dash, so he should have been doing 2 on severe.

You must test each time you leave and re-enter the area of effect, as per usual with any model. The only difference is that Piggies don't fall back when they faile the morale duel.

When stampeding they Swine Dash, not Pig Charge. Also, they inflict +1 damage during a Pig Charge or Swine Dash, so he should have been doing 2 on severe.

The Pig Charge/Swine Dash was a misspeak on my part. Sorry about that. My opponent missed the +1 damage, and I didn't catch it either.

You must test each time you leave and re-enter the area of effect, as per usual with any model. The only difference is that Piggies don't fall back when they faile the morale duel.

The interesting part here was that because of the woods, the Piglet never actually got out of the effect range, and never won the Morale Duel to be able to ignore it. Although now that I'm looking at it, it seems that even a Falling Back model has to take a Terrifying check. I think I'd always believed that a model wouldn't have to make any additional checks until it had Rallied. With that being the case, it's not quite as out-there a situation as I'd thought.

I think what this situation shows more than anything is that Avatar Seamus has indeed solved the Terror-lacking situation of his normal counterpart and that with the simple addition of Instinctual and a couple more Souls Stones (perhaps a nice new hat...) Seamus will be the well rounded individual we all know and love...

Where are you finding this? I don't see anything about Terrifying (or immunity to) in Stampede.

ok, doing some searching, the first time I found this was in the errata, which has since been removed. In this thread it quotes the original Errata to Stampede

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?14551-Stampede-question&highlight=stampeding

While this updated the original version of Stampede, I am sure that I saw a rules marshal state that Stampeding pigs still ignore terrify, just need to do some more looking to find it.