Basic help with Nico

iamthefly

Hi,

Nicodem, Mortimer (for the extra walk he grants), 4 dogs, PZ and a Crooked Man or 2. Facing Ortegas with the old granny in place of Papa Loco.

I was walking up in a crowd with Nic at the back, using buildings for cover and fogging when I could, but there was a turn when I had to cross the open to close with the Ortagas. Lost inititive and alpha strike Family just drilled a hole in my flesh wall of Crooked Men and killed Nicodem.

Called it, racked em up for a new game.

Same thing happened again, this time with the grave spirit attached to Nicodem.

Note: I've a feeling I've not quite got the hang of MZs.

Problems:

Cover isn't always where you want it if Nico needs to be on the edge of the action.

The Flesh wall sometimes dies.

Fog is only good if you have the inititive

Speed, or the lack of.

I suck with Nicodem, but I have a soft spot for him.

Can people please help me get my basic game together with a sort of rule of thumb plan? something to overcome the speed problem and some other tips?

Thanks.

I'm not a ressurectionist player but I play against them all the time, sometimes with the ortegas. My first thoughts are to tie them up in melee with either a dead rider, a shikome, or night terrors. Only a couple of the Ortegas can put up any fight in close combat.

Perhaps Belles to lure the Ortegas out of position and closer to you so you don't have to walk as far?

In my experience playing against Nicodem I see that Nicodem is awesome when the enemy is forced to come to him and his bolstered allies. Find a way to make them come to you.

I have only played 2 or 3 games, but i love using the dead rider to drag Nico forward turn one, with the Grave spirit linked to him so he takes 1 damage for it. then you have a Grave spirit to attach to the dead rider in the next turn as well:D

It allows you to start your summoning from near the middle of the board rather than deployment zone:)

Depends on your schemes and strategy.

If you had to play center did you have to do it so soon to get the vp? Also take schemes where you can sit back in dz such as hold out and force opponent to come to you.

Ortegas family alpha is hard to take but if you can whether it you will be golden. Take some vanguard units like necros or dogs to run flank and theaten melee. They are cheap and will allow you to still have the wall. Remember with Nico only engage if it will get you the vp.

Buy a Dead Rider. I don't care if it's a 25ss game, he is worth his stones with Nico every single time. He completely takes care of Nico's speed problem, and moves him up to 13" into position (at the cost of 1 wound with the grave spirit attached). Also, Nico + Grave Spirit should be able to survive an Ortega onslaught thanks to using Soulstones to prevent damage.

Crooked Men, while a great model, are not the best purchase against the Guild. Instead consider things like Belles. Belles, by contrast, are great against the Guild.

An example list...

Ressurectionists Crew - 25 - Scrap

Nicodem, The Undertaker
--
6 Pool

Grave Spirit [1ss]

• Dead Rider
    [10ss]

• Desperate Mercenary
    [2ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

thanks guys, this is all the sort of i was looking for.

whats the desperate merc for? I take it i just kill him turm one and raise a bell/punk zombie?

btw, i thought that there was a 1ss surcharge for hiring mercinaries (outcasts) out of faction, did i just make that up?

one hand feeding a baby so no capitals, soz.

btw, i thought that there was a 1ss surcharge for hiring mercinaries (outcasts) out of faction, did i just make that up?

QUOTE]

Desperate mercs have a special rule so they dont cost the extra +1 soul stone to hire out of faction. They are in the game primarily to be a source of cheap, moving blood/body/whatever counters.