Started Hamelin

Asphyxxious

So today i picked up Hamelins box set along with the Obedient Wretch, Rat Catchers, Malifaux Rats. I am guessing I will probably need at least 1 more blister of rats to go up to 9 total but do I need 6 The stolen? I have pretty much never seen him played so I don't really know exactly how everything works or the number of models that are used. So is 3 The Stolen and 9 Malifaux Rats enough usually? I really don't like proxying models, even if it is just rats, so I want to make sure I have enough.

Also kind of a side note but the wording on Flock for the Malfiaux Rats says "When activating this model, simultaneously activate all friendly Malifaux Rats within 4" that have not already activated this turn." To me that reads as it is not voluntary. I just wanted to make sure I had it right.

Thanks in advance

Yes, Flock is involuntary, and it chains from Rat to Rat, so it is possible for all of your Rats to activate together, across the whole board.

You should have 6 Stolen (Though you will rarely use more than 4), 15 Rats (Though you will rarely use more than 12), then what ever else you want to add like 6ish Canine Remains, Desperate Mercs (number is up to you), and whichever other models you decide to try (he has more options than most of the masters in the game, there being 24 things that he can take).

Personally I start many games with Canine Remains instead of Rats. They are better by themselves, and they turn into Rats when they die. The added benefit is that they all activate individually, so lots of activations. With Rats, if you keep them spread out, you can activate them separately. Killing them with the Rat Catchers does give you extra activations as well. Add in the Wretch and a couple Stolen and it is hard to not out activate your opponent.

Havn't actually played him yet, but I was assuming that it would be hard to not chain all of the rats activations. I am sure ill see when I actually play him. At 35ss I was looking at

Hamelin

-Obedient Wretch 2ss

Nix 7ss

Rat Catcher 5ss

Rat Catcher 5ss

...Then idk. 16ss to use. How many stones does Hamelin usually need? And how many rats and stolen to start?

I use between 4-6 soulstones, hamelin goes down quite easily when targetted as do the stolen. So its good to have a few soulstones spare just incase people take out a stolen you didnt see coming etc.

I also generally dont use 2 rat catchers until i get 5 rats but my starting crew is much different to yours its:

Outcasts Crew - 35 - Scrap

Hamelin the Plagued -- 6 Pool

Obedient Wretch [2ss]

Desperate Mercenary [2ss]

Desperate Mercenary [2ss]

Malifaux Rat [2ss]

Nix, the Bull Terrier [7ss]

Rat Catcher [5ss]

Terror Tot Nephilim [3ss]

Terror Tot Nephilim [3ss]

The Stolen [3ss]

I'll add an extra rat if i dont think hamelin is likely to be on the receiving end of an alpha strike. That is more or less my base list then i tweak for things like treasure hunter/line in teh sand/destroy evidence.

Also I got 18 rats and 6 stolen. Stolen I usually try to have at least 2 out in threatening postitions ( i play hamelin quite aggressively) so if they die or are sacrificed the maximum amount of enemy models get hit by the -2 wp.

WIth the rats against most crews you should be ok with 12 but if you're up against nicodem or other summoners it can very quickly become a lot of rats.

Ended up getting my first Hamelin game in today. It went ok for the most part. Ended up losing 0-2 I think but it was still a good game. I took

Hamelin 5ss

-Obedient Wretch 2ss

Nix 7ss

Rat Catcher 5ss

Rat 2ss

Rat 2ss

Rat 2ss

I played against Pandora.. I ended up putting Nix in kind of a risky situation. It was a situation where if I won initiative, which i stoned for and still lost, I would be in a great situation.. But didn't get initiative and lost Nix. Hamelin ended up paralyzed and falling back for like 3 turns >.>. when I was on the board edge and just rallied he was trying to run me off the board with her fall back trigger. I cheated up to a die with the spell and stoned....the black joker >.>. a 1 would have saved him. It went downhill from there. But still got him down to just Pandora left. Learned to ALWAYS keep 1 stolen somewhere safe no matter how safe you THINK you are.

So many WP tests from Pandora and not being able to attack her made it rough. Is Pandora pretty good usually against Hamelin?

You just gotta learn what she does so you can get better at countering it. If you reduce her wp its much easier to target her (obviously). So sacrificing a stolen within 6 inches of her will knock 2 wp off for the turn. Then if you can get your rats to hit her with a crow in the duel thats another -2wp due to rabies. Except thats for the entire game.

Make sure when you go for her you have nix within range for his aura to hit her. The neg flips to all duels if you are non soulless. And have your rats use impetuous.

I know what she does pretty well. I have been playing pandora a lot lately. Just like 2 bad flips and suddenly hamelin was running and paralysed the rest of the game lol. But oh well it happens and was a good game reguardless of that. I was really hoping on winning initiative the turn I lost nix. Would have had most of his models, including pandora, in that aura. It was risky and didn't pay off lol. I didn't realise how good that aura was really till I played it. Those neg flips are crazy!

One thing came up we weren't sure on though. The difference between paralyse and falling back. Do you actually get to activate for either of them? My understanding is for paralyse you don't get to activate. You just completely ignore the model. At the end of. The turn paralyse goes away. But falling back you had to actually activate. Can't do anything but you have to take an activation to rally. Is that correct? If it is then to rally is it an all action to rally or what? Couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in the rules manual.

Rallying:

A Falling Back Model spends its next activation to rally. Until the end of that activation, the falling back model can not perform any general or specific movement actions and receives - to any Duels it must perform except for Moral duels. After the end of the model's activation, it is no longer falling back, becomes rallied, and may continue to act as normal. Models passing their activation due to paralyzed are rallied at the end of that activation.

Page 57 Rules Manual

Paralyzed: A model Gaining paralyzed during its activation loses any remaining AP and its activation immediately ends. If the Model gains Paralyzed outside of its activation, it forfeits its next activation. While Paralyzed, a model has no mele range, can not take any type of action, can not activate triggers, and can not react to disengaging models. A paralyzed model does not make a fall back move when it loses a moral duel, but does rally as normal. (Moral page 56)

Action modifiers Page 34 Rules Manual

Quotes of the wording from the books, my interpretation is that you activate and can do nothing, not even pass for them both, but lose the effects of both in that 1 activation, rather than taking 2 turns for it as it i guess a possible interpretation?

I know what she does pretty well. I have been playing pandora a lot lately. Just like 2 bad flips and suddenly hamelin was running and paralysed the rest of the game lol. But oh well it happens and was a good game reguardless of that. I was really hoping on winning initiative the turn I lost nix. Would have had most of his models, including pandora, in that aura. It was risky and didn't pay off lol. I didn't realise how good that aura was really till I played it. Those neg flips are crazy!

One thing came up we weren't sure on though. The difference between paralyse and falling back. Do you actually get to activate for either of them? My understanding is for paralyse you don't get to activate. You just completely ignore the model. At the end of. The turn paralyse goes away. But falling back you had to actually activate. Can't do anything but you have to take an activation to rally. Is that correct? If it is then to rally is it an all action to rally or what? Couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in the rules manual.

Paralyze, the model skips its activation. They don't take it and pass twice, they just outright skip it.

When you Rally, you get both AP, but you can't move and you receive a :-fate to anything you do.

Ok I lied. 2 things came up we didn't know the answer to. If pandora is 3" away from a stolen and uses pacify happens if she wins? Will she ping the stolen for 1 killing it and push 4" away before the 6" pulse goes off? Or would she get caught in the pulse before she can move? Not sure on the timing there.

Acting model takes effect precendence.

Meaning she would push, then the aura would go off and she would have to take a Wp->13 duel or suffer Insignificant.

(Or is it Wp->12?)

Paralyze, the model skips its activation. They don't take it and pass twice, they just outright skip it.

When you Rally, you get both AP, but you can't move and you receive a :-fate to anything you do.

Acting model takes effect precendence.

Meaning she would push, then the aura would go off and she would have to take a Wp->13 duel or suffer Insignificant.

(Or is it Wp->12?)

Oh wow thank you. We have been playing it a lot more brutal then it is. We skipped paralyze right I think but rally was way off. We were playing it as you activate and take an all action to rally for some reason lol. Also we were playing it where if you had both effects on you you skip your first activation to get rid of paralyze and you're still falling back.. so your next activation would be an all action to rally. A lot more brutal then intended. Thanks for that all lol. Very relieving