Confusion over 'Replace'

Baron|Roboto

Question

Folks,

I hope you could provide some clarification here; I'm reading the rules for Replacement in the context of the Steampunk Arachnid swarm... If I first put down the rule for Replacement:

Small Rules Manual, P34: "...the replacing model(s) continue the activation using any General AP the replaced model(s) had remaining...The Replacing model(s) can use their specific AP during this activation if any of the replaced models had not used the same talent or spell..."

(ignored text applies to replacing a single model with multiple)

This has got me scratching my head. If I give an example, are one of these outcomes correct, or am I way out?

A Steampunk Arachnid is in base contact with 2 other Steampunk Arachnids, and uses its first AP for 'Swarm Together' - which of the following happens?

1) The new Steampunk Arachnid Swarm uses the remaining AP from the replaced Steampunk Arachnid(1), in addition to the APs that belong to the Steampunk Arachnid Swarm

2) Since the other 2 Steampunk arachnids had not yet activated, the new swarm has the 5 total remaining general APs that were remaining, including the APs specific to the Steampunk arachnid swarm (!!)

Many thanks for your help on this!

Edited by Baron|Roboto

5 answers to this question

It's a bit of a confusing one because several rules are at play here.

For the second point, the two sacrificed Spiders dont have any AP, because you only "gain" AP when you activate and they haven't activated. There's no such thing as "potential AP".

For your first question - no, you don't get the swarm's AP as well. The swarm gets to finish off the activation made by the first individual spider, it doesn't get its own activation and therefore doesn't generate any AP for itself.

It gets to use the remaining 1 general AP if the first spider didn't use it. It also gets to make its (2) melee master strikes if in melee. If I'm honest I'm not sure about its (0) action and whether both the individual and the swarm can take a zero. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that point.

Mike

It gets to use the remaining 1 general AP if the first spider didn't use it. It also gets to make its (2) melee master strikes if in melee. If I'm honest I'm not sure about its (0) action and whether both the individual and the swarm can take a zero. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that point.

The easy way to remember it is that with replacement, any actions taken by the initial model are counted against the second model's total. So only one usage of a zero unless Instinctual is involved.

With the caveat (not applicable to steampunk arachnids in any situation that I'm aware of) that if the initial model used special actions like (+1)Nimble they don't count against the second model unless it also has that ability or one incompatible with it.

The easy way to remember it is that with replacement, any actions taken by the initial model are counted against the second model's total. So only one usage of a zero unless Instinctual is involved.

With the caveat (not applicable to steampunk arachnids in any situation that I'm aware of) that if the initial model used special actions like (+1)Nimble they don't count against the second model unless it also has that ability or one incompatible with it.

Gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. I guess this segways onto a new question - does the replacement model activate straight after at this point? And is this the same with Summoned Steampunk Arachnids (i.e. sacrafice the swarm and the 3 summoned arachnids now activate as if companioned)?

Gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. I guess this segways onto a new question - does the replacement model activate straight after at this point? And is this the same with Summoned Steampunk Arachnids (i.e. sacrafice the swarm and the 3 summoned arachnids now activate as if companioned)?

The swarm (replacing model) continues the activation of the individual spider, using up any remaining AP, as above.

In the case of Scatter, since the individual spiders are summoned and not replaced, they have to wait until your next opportunity to activate a model.

Mike