When you can&can't cheat...

CommanderSasha

Question

Hi, New player question:

Can/has anyone compiled a list of when you can and can't cheat cards?

As new players, we are getting confused, and could do with a quick reference list.

Off the top of my head:

NEVER if you suffered any :-fate

Attacks

Yes to Strike Attack flip

Yes to Defense flip

Yes to Attacker trying to overcome a successful defense

Yes to Defender trying to overcome a cheated attack

Spells

Yes to Casting flip

Yes to Resist flip

No to Caster then trying to overcome a successful Resist

Yes to Damage flips

No to Healing flips

No to Wound Prevention flips

No to Initiative flips

No to rules argument settling flips!

Are these all correct, and are there any I've missed out? Thanks!

3 answers to this question

So, you can cheat any Duel that doesn't have a :-fate AND you can cheat damage flips that don't have a :-fate

Basically, the important things are knowing what is and isn't a duel (a damage prevention flip is not a duel) and the order cheating must be done.

So, for example, in a contested duel (both people flip at once -- like an attack), the person who is LOSING cheats first, then the person who is winning has a chance to cheat. You can only cheat the once.

Initiative, healing, damage preventing... none of these are duels. Casting is a simple duel against a TN (not contested), and thus can be cheated. Resisting is then a simple duel against a TN (the cast #), which can be cheated. However, these happen at different times, which is why the caster cannot again alter their total.

Does that help?

Casting is a simple duel against a TN (not contested), and thus can be cheated. Resisting is then a simple duel against a TN (the cast #), which can be cheated. However, these happen at different times, which is why the caster cannot again alter their total.

I love that explanation for casting.

I had never noticed the difference in the casting duel versus regular attacks and some friends and I always played casts the same as contested duels. I embarrassingly learned the CORRECT casting at Adepticon this year as Dixon, the eventual winner of both the scrap and brawl tourneys pointed out my error during our match in the cake fight.