Several simple questions

Alex319

Question

I just finished my first full game of Malifaux and I had the following rules questions come up.

1. If Kirai Ankoku uses "Evolve Spirit" to summon an Onryo and sacrifices an Ikiryo as the spirit when casting the spell (the spell sacrifices a spirit as part of its effect), does she heal the 2 wounds from Ikiryo's "Moment of Clarity" before or after taking the 2 damage from casting the spell?

2. Are players allowed to look at their opponents' stat cards?

3. In the rules for damaging terrain, it says that the "value of the damage flip" must beat the terrain's hardness. Does "the value of the damage flip" refer to the number of wounds inflicted (i.e. the light, moderate, or severe wound value as appropriate) or to the actual number on the card flipped (irrespective of the weapon's characteristics)?

4. Consider the following scenario:

. . . . C . . . .

. . . . . . A . .

. . . . * * * * *

. . . . * * * * *

. . . . * * * * *

. . . . * * * * *

. . . . * * * * *

. . . B * * * * *

. . X . * * * * *

4a. Suppose that A and B are creatures and the rest is currently empty (ignore the *s for now). An ability is used that allows A to be pushed to a location "within 3 inches of B". Can A be pushed to location X? The diagram in the Rules Manual makes it look like you must be pushed in a straight line and you stop immediately when entering the target area (and so could not be pushed beyond it) but this is not explicitly stated.

4b. Now suppose the *s were walls. Could A be pushed to a location near B at all? In other words, must pushes be in a straight line? Again, I don't see where in the Rules Manual this is clearly stated.

4c. Suppose that (as in 4b) the *'s are walls, and an ability is used which pushes A "directly away" from C (and A is in base-to-base contact with the wall). Does A stop immediately at the wall (and thus would not move at all) or does he "slide along" the wall (going directly horizontally, in this case)?

5. In the rules for combat duels in the Rules Manual, under "Cheat Fate" it says that "the losing model" can cheat fate by replacing the flipped card with the one from his hand, while in the main rule book it just says "the model" can do it. If the Rules Manual is correct, does this mean that if the losing model chooses not to cheat fate, then the winning model will never have a chance to cheat fate? What if the losing model cheats fate but stays losing (maybe the losing model didn't have a high enough card but wanted to minimize the damage)?

7 answers to this question

1. i think after, but I'm not sure, you do the spell, sacrifice the spirit AND suffer 2wds. after that the rule from ikiryo comes in play, and thus healing 2wd

2.yeah, public information, you can ALWAYS check your opponont his stat cards.

3. moderate, severe, with a malifaux rat (dg 1/2/2) you can never destroy an ice pillar hardness 3. and hardness 3 means you need to do 4 damage before it is destroyed.

4a.you can push how you want (don't go and push yourself half the board) but you have to end within 3" so i think you can go to place X, however, when it says push directly it has to be done in 1 line.

4b. look 4a above

4c. kinda slides along the wall (lets say the **** are a big rock)

5. losing model may cheat, if you doesn't want to, the winning model can always cheat, if he wants to,

the chain does not stop, even when the losing model does not want to cheat,

i think that's about it,

if i made some wrong assumptions, you will hear about it from others :D

1: Not sure, what is the exact wording on the spell? If the "Sacrifice a Spirit" comes first, I would think you resolve the Sacrifice (including all effects generated from it like the heal) before moving on to suffering the 2 Wds.

4C: No he would stop when he hit the wall. He would slide along it if it was "away" and not "Dirrectly Away". Dirrectly Away leaves no room for shifting, you go straight away and stop when you hit something you can't move through , it never goes around anything. Draw a line from center of base to center of base and move right along it.

1: Not sure, what is the exact wording on the spell? If the "Sacrifice a Spirit" comes first, I would think you resolve the Sacrifice (including all effects generated from it like the heal) before moving on to suffering the 2 Wds.

sacrifice comes first, but arn't you supposed to do everything together? first do the spell, and than the sacrificing?

sacrifice comes first, but arn't you supposed to do everything together? first do the spell, and than the sacrificing?

I think the Sacrifice and Wd loss qualify as Additional Requirements of the spell. Either way, they would be resolved one at a time from first to last I would think since that is the order they are written in.

Remember, you have to resolve each sentace of a ability/action before moving onto the next one. So you don't do everything all at once, but perform it in written order I would think, otherwise the rules get a bit crazy.

I think the Sacrifice and Wd loss qualify as Additional Requirements of the spell. Either way, they would be resolved one at a time from first to last I would think since that is the order they are written in.

Remember, you have to resolve each sentace of a ability/action before moving onto the next one. So you don't do everything all at once, but perform it in written order I would think, otherwise the rules get a bit crazy.

okay, wasn't to sure about that :) thanks for clarifying that one for me :)

so in fact you first heal 2wd and than you suffer 2wd, so this can be done when kirai has 1 wd left, nasty :)

This is just in the case for 4b and 4c, as in the questions they were specified as walls, you can move over a wall, if you have the moment allowance, and does a push not ignore terrain modifiers so wouldn't you just move the full distance through the walls as if they weren't there?

I did notice one of you change the terrain to something you cant move through, but this is just something i was curious about myself.