McMourning Learning Experiences

Stonedog-7

So a bit like my Seamus thread from last week, i just wanted to throw out some post-game thoughts about McMourning and the crew i used and get some feedback/ideas on things... and again, any further advice or interractions i should watch for or keep in mind is more than welcome

35SS Game vs Lilith – Shared Treasure Hunt

McMourning, Zombie Chihuahua, Sebastian, 2 Belles, 2 Necropunks, 2 Night Terrors, 1 Canine, 1 Convict Gunslinger

Lilith, Primordial, Blackblood Shaman, Lelu, Lilitu, 2 Tots, 1 Young

So yeah, with Shared treasure hunt I wanted the night terrors in there (damn 2 interact) but in the end neither of us got very far with the game revolving more around schemes and threatening the Treasure

Lilith took Bodyguard & Holdout for schemes and I took Stake Claim and 2Stones (yeah, I know, I regret doing that)… game ended as a draw at 2VP each

After my last McMourning game against Lilith I was very wary of Black Blood’s effect on canines as their small attacks try to bring down anything bigger so steered clear of them and think I will in future too… 1 for an early set of body parts was enough I found, though slightly botching the order meant I didn’t get a construct turn 1

McMourning – Stifled slightly by a patch of rough terrain and trying not to have him bogged down but he did a solid job churning out 3 constructs (would have been 4 but I used Scalpel Slinging without thinking on lilith wasting his 0 action)… Wracked with pain from both McM & the Chihuahua kept pressure on things early and the threat of healing himself made anything short of the Mature think twice about engaging him (the mature got swamped in combat with McM claiming the kill from a cheated red joker damage flip)

Sebastian – not as good this time round, all he really did was ferry some corpse counters back to McM and be a threat, last 2 turns of the game he did summon 2 dogs in an attempt to have the 1st pick up the treasure counter, but lilith just stepped up and slapped it down leaving a lone insignificant dog and no vps… I think I might try mortimer, a hanged or just some more little guys in future (hell, 2 dogs @ 4 stones would give me more speedy corpse-fetchers)

The Belles - as much as I’d been hoping they wouldn’t be so awesome, I don’t think I’ll ever leave home without at least 1 again… they enabled me to manipulate Lelu, drawing him out so I could floor him in a single turn and even without Seamus’ debuff and spd boost they did great

Necropunks – erm, yeah… 1 got chain lured from some lucky flips early, the other was an annoyance and a corpse counter for me, the 1 attack he got to make on a to the fluffed, but I don’t think 2 was enough, will try 3 next time… that said Hard to Kill and a 4th wound put them well ahead of my experiences with canines in terms of annoyance factor

Night Terrors – Solid, extremely manoeuvrable, 1 after activating got a sprinting terror tot to the face with Hard to Kill keeping it in the game, and for some reason rather than have the other “Flock” him out and keep him alive I ploughed it in… 1 survived the game though and went to sit in my opponents deployment zone to stop him getting Holdout VP’s

Convict Gunslinger – 6 Stones of sheer awesomeness, he didn’t live up to what he’s been doing as the one turn he would have used rapid fire I’d managed to pull a hand of no cards less than 8, but Supressing Fire kept my opponent worried and the severe terrain stopped him from trying to lure him in as he knew he wasn’t going to drag him into combat with anything

Canine – walking body parts, all he was taken for

So yeah, skipping a scheme to keep a maximum cache of 8 and everything I wanted was a bum move on my part as I’d have been taking Breakthrough or Kill Protégé (either of which I’d have managed)… but I guess I was a little paranoid about McM’s survivability… but he’s a great master who really can run ANYTHING and keeps a lot of pressure on, I had my opponent on the back foot the moment flesh constructs started appearing, and ok he was dealing with them at the rate of 1 per turn, but with someone ferrying counters back to McM there was always another one incoming… and being able to personally blitz something as tough as a mature is great (even though I had “Undressed” the mature to Df2 for added insurance), Rancid Implant + Precise = more corpse counters

And yes, i know i was summoning constructs not a necromancy, not got book 2 and the model isn't out :)

Also, is it me or with their plethora of cheap and often speedy minions do Ressers seem like they really don't mind the movement type of strategies/schemes

Interaction objectives are really hard to accomplish when lure is out on the table. A lure threat per opponent makes it hard. Necro and a nurse along with either morti, or a belle can pick up the objective first turn and move it 8", throw in student of conflict and you will have it in your deployment zone. That is a lot ss but it can be done.

Interaction objectives are really hard to accomplish when lure is out on the table. A lure threat per opponent makes it hard. Necro and a nurse along with either morti, or a belle can pick up the objective first turn and move it 8", throw in student of conflict and you will have it in your deployment zone. That is a lot ss but it can be done.

And a lot of actions in between which you're assuming your opponent will do nothing to stop you. Not really viable but as you say, it is possible.

But not really what Rezzers are good at.

Played McMourning vs Dreamer this week and had closest Dreamer game yet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; McMourning is the best Rezzer master, up there with Kirai. He's good against basically everything that Kirai is bad against. He's going to get even better with his avatar.

Shame about his Wp, but at least Flesh Constructs cover that weakness.

Played McMourning vs Dreamer this week and had closest Dreamer game yet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; McMourning is the best Rezzer master, up there with Kirai. He's good against basically everything that Kirai is bad against. He's going to get even better with his avatar.

Shame about his Wp, but at least Flesh Constructs cover that weakness.

After dusting off the good doctor since more than half a year and taking him to a tourney I have to agree with you. I haven't tried Kirai (and I won't, because I'm not fan of weeaboo spirits), but he is really versatile, and other than a dog and his totem to get counters from he can take almost anything in his crew and do his job well (kill stuff, summon stuff). My greatest experience on the tournament (other than getting matched against a Hamelin, then a Dreamer player is really frustrating) is that there is a certain model which covers his weaknesses, and profits greatly from his awesome 6 SS cache, and that model is...

VON SCHILL!

More ranged threat, great WP, buff against morale duels, mobility, better chance to win that 2 VP from Bodyguard, and a badass moustache... What more can you ask for?

Sure, according to the current ruling (which might change) you can't summon a Rogue Necromany until VS is alive, but the RN rarely does anything other than dieing right after being summoned, so its not such a huge loss compared to the greatness of Von Schill. Also no Convict then, but VS is reliable even without Lure...

And why would an undead-hunting Mercenary work for the Ressers? Of course to help them create more undead, which he will kill for an other contractor! (Still easier to explain than why all poor, Desperate Mercenaries work for big, horned devils, isn't it?)

I'm looking to start playing Doug more myself. How do you get around his ...problem with Terrifying? Especially against the Dreamer?!?

Cheat it and then get on with it. You only need a 9vs Chompy, 8vs Copellius. Stone if you really need to.

Terrifying is rarely a problem for any model, much less masters who can stone. It's more of a resource drain than a threat of actually fleeing.