Beginning Malifaux with The Dreamer

Parka

I'm really sorry for yet another 'newb Dreamer player', but i've just got a couple of questions that i'm hoping some of you will be able to help me with.

I've gone through the tactica (which is awesome) and i've read the shuffling threads. I think i've got how it actually works. My biggest stumbling was missing the fact that Frightening Dream will bring out LCB when the dreamer is on the board, doh.

My daft questions are:

- I'm reading it that with One Master you can't have both The Dreamer and LCB on the board at the same time, but you can have both The Dreamer and LCB buried at the same time?

- And then the only way of getting LCB (and ergo The Dreamer) back out is to use a Daydream to use Call Nightmares?

- When you use Calm Nightmares, LCB has to be within 6" but it doesn't mention how you replace (assuming replace means place on the board) The Dreamer. Is it in the same spot or b2b with LCB before taking LCB off the board?b2b, found in the errata

- With LCB, if its killed and it does the Dreamer's Revenge, i'm assuming you can't just bury the Dreamer again and get out a fresh LCB? (that would be stoopid [my daftest question]).

- The Disembowel trigger, am I reading that its an auto-kill with even weak damage, unless the defender discards two control cards or two soulstones?

- The Onslaught trigger, after going through the attack process and assigning damage, you simply go through the process again (like a free attack?). If you use your melee expert for another attack, can you potentially attack four times?

- LCBs only spell, do you have to have the Daydream on the board for this to work? can you select any Daydream on the board to move regardless of where they are?

- With the Daydream card, is there a missprint with Magical Extension? It states it can only be cast once per activation, but then on the left hand side it says you can cast it twice but you need to discard a control card.

- The Night Terrors action for The Dreamer is aura 6. Does this mean all friendly nightmares within 6" of the dreamer gain Terrifying?

- Nightmare Friend action, does this place LCB directly on top of The Dreamer, or b2b in any direction before removing The Dreamer?b2b, found in the errata

- Calm Dreams, i'm reading that to be buried the Nightmares have to be within 6" of The Dreamer, not that you bury the Nightmares within 6" of The Dreamer regardless of where they are on the board? (I think that might be might second most daftest question)

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer these questions!

Edited by Parka

by number top to bottom

1. one master says that when if the dreamer is buried lcb comes out and acts if not already this round and same goes other way around. by there own methods they can not both be buried at the same time.

2. yes and no- yes if lcb has already acted this turn no if he hasnt he does have a trigger off a melee strike with a book req called all done that will allow him to bury

3.when its replace its b2b unless it says otherwise

4, no when he dies he is gone and does not bury. buried models arent removed from the game just from play

5. you wouldn't flip for damage you would get the trigger off the attack after the attack succeeds then declare the trigger and resolve its effects instead of a damage flip

6.yes plus you can keep the trigger going until the other model dies. so with one ap either general or melee expert you can attack as many times as fate lets you plus cheating fate of course. the most ive triggered onslaught off one ap was 5 against a teddy i was both very lucky and had some good cheat cards

7.huh no its not summon as in call from a distance to you its summon as in create a whole new model and its his spell so it has nothing to do with the dreamer

8.no misprint its as it should be normally magical extension is once per turn but the daydreams have a slightly better version

9.yes until the resolve effects step

10.right b2b

11.calm dreams buries nightmares within 6" of the model casting it(the daydreams can cast it with magical extenison while the dreamer is on the board) so if your measure 6 ins around the model hits the base of any(as many as you want within this range) friendly nightmare you can bury it

your welcome and thank you for asking the questions much better to try and find the answers than to just play with what your gut tells you and be possibly wrong and making the dreamer look bad

1. one master says that when if the dreamer is buried lcb comes out and acts if not already this round and same goes other way around. by there own methods they can not both be buried at the same time.

This is incorrect. Here is the text for One Master as written on LCBs card:

"This model is included in any Crew hiring The Dreamer and always starts the Encounter Buried. This model may never be in play at the same time as a friendly The Dreamer. When this model is brought into play, this model's Controller must bury a friendly The Dreamer and this model activates immediately. Any time a friendly The Dreamer is brought into play, bury this model and activate the Dreamer immediately. Totems connected to The Dreamer in this Crew are connected to this model as well."

As you can see, there is no rule saying that when one is buried, the other comes out. Rather it is the exact opposite (when one comes out, the other is buried). The Dreamer/LCB are subject to Pine Box shenanigans just like everyone else.

Thanks for the replies. So from that One Master rule, i'm reading it as:

You can't have both The Dreamer and LCB on the board at the same time as when for example LCB unburys, The Dreamer will then be buried. But you can have both buried at the same time and you've got to figure out how to get one back on the board?

Thanks for the replies. So from that One Master rule, i'm reading it as:

You can't have both The Dreamer and LCB on the board at the same time as when for example LCB unburys, The Dreamer will then be buried. But you can have both buried at the same time and you've got to figure out how to get one back on the board?

Precisely :) It's one of the things that makes Dreamer/LCB a little difficult to learn at first, but also one of the reasons they're so much fun to play once you get it down.

As far as finding a way to get one unburied, you can have a Daydream use Call Nightmare to bring out LCB, or if you've been Pine Boxed, just cheat fate and soulstone to win the WP duel.

Edited by Allidor

Played against Colette in probably my first real game. Got absolutely slaughtered! Her ability to generate more soulstones and essential get a free one each turn is just ridiculous!

Ouch man, Colette is not a friendly crew to learn the game against. Don't give up hope though, hopefully you got to use some of your mechanics and see things in action as trying to visualize the Dreamers mechanics is often rather hard.

Colette is a bit of a pill for any player and that sucks you got matched up against her your first game with the Dreamer (or first game ever?). But some times you just get opponents who want to throw you into the shark tank when you still have flotties on. As you probably say, Colette is very fast and the Corphyee Duet are a tad rediculous at times. But don't worry about it, try and put the game behind you and play another game soon! Just avoid that crew, hopefully you have others you can play against who would be more up for letting you learn the game and your Master.

If you had any questions, observations, etc from the game throw them up! It looks like everyone did a great job answering your questions so far and I know we all will keep at it till you get the Dreamer down pat.