What is a Game Event? - Related to Buried Effects

TalonRaven

Question

Hi all, I couldn't find a thread that explained game events in a search, so I'll to ask the following question: "What is a Game Event?"

I ask this due to a rules discussion my group was having the other day; do effects applied onto a model persist even during subsequent turns, when it is buried? The example was an Alp that uses Defensive Stance during its activation in the first turn, and is buried by the Dreamer in the same turn. Apparently, according to an earlier discussion in this forums, the Alp retains Defensive Stance when it is unburied in the second or so turn.

I disagreed, and these are my thoughts. According to the Rules Manual, pg. 32: Closing Phase

B. Resolve Effects Step

All Action and Spell effects which do not indicate a duration end during this step.

This explains why Defensive Stance would end, but the model is buried. According to Rules Manual, pg 13: Models in Play vs. Out of Play

When buried, a model is out of play, but still in the game, and effects on the model, including Wd it has suffered or ongoing spells, remain on it.
In addition, earlier on the same page, it says:

Buried models, on the other hand, remain in the game even though they are not in play and can return to play during the Encounter.
So, since the Alp is still in the game, it is still affected by the game's rules, which states that all effects end during the Closing Phase. So yes, while Defensive Stance should still be active on the Alp if it is unburied in the same turn, however, if it is unburied in subsequent turns, it would have lost it during earlier Closing Phases.

Yet, earlier in the same page, the following was mentioned:

Unless stated otherwise, only models in play can be affected by game effects and game events.
We decided the key to resolving the discussion was to determine what "game events" is defined as. Thoughts?

2 answers to this question

I think you'll find close to 50 pages about burying models and effects persisting on these forums. Defensive stance stays on the Alp when it comes back out. An exact definition of a game event... well, I have no clue, but I think it might refer to things like random events (the things you flip a card for at the end of the turn, get a 10+ and it triggers in the next turn).

I think he understands that it has been said that defensive stance, etc. will stay on the alps if they are buried and was just trying to find justification for it in the rules.

It's a good question, as it seems as though the Resolve Effects Step would have to either be a game effect or game event in order to not affect buried models.