Ortega companion + pinebox.

boyzie

Question

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, however, I have failed to find the answer by the search.

Scenario 1

Turn 1 Abuela shotgun marries a death Marshall.

Turn 2 death Marshall companions with papa loco and casts pinebox on him. I believe companion ends when a model has finished its activation. Has loco finished his activation within the box or when he is released can he immediately take his companion activation?

Example 1, death Marshall is killed loco is placed within 1 inch and then activates to complete his companion activation?

Example 2, death Marshall casts pinebox on someone else and releases loco. Does loco activate because he was buried with an unfinished companion?

If the above can work I'm trying to figure out a sequence that would force a companion over a long distance. E.g loco had companion with someone was buried gets unburied later in game and still has companion with that model enabling them to activate.

Hope that all makes sense.

5 answers to this question

That won't work. If you use companion Papa Loco would count as being activated for the turn, but he won't be able to do anything because he is buried. Even if he would be unburied in the same turn he wouldn't be allowed to activate anymore.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So being buried ends your activation? Where does it say that in the rules?

@Headcase2 - that seems right. Use of Companion creates simultaneous activation of all the Companion'd models, so Papa Loco activates when the Death Marshall does, but does not get to do anything until it is his turn. When the Death Marshall finishes his activation it is then Papa Loco's turn, but he is not on the table and so loses his opportunity. But he still counts as having activated that Turn.

Thanks sholto. Can you point me to where in the rules it says being buried ends activation?

I thought things end in the closing phase unless stated otherwise. Companion ends when all companions have finished there activation.

So in dreamer crews if LCB activates, gets buried to bring out the dreamer and at some point that turn LCB comes out again he doesn't get to activate because 1) he has already activated this turn and doesn't have reactivate and 2) being buried ended his activation?

Being buried doesn't state it ends his activation per se, but he just isn't on the board to do anything. So it's more of "by default" kind of situation. Since a model can only activate once per turn (barring reactivate), and the companion rules state that all nominated models count as activated as soon as you nominate the order in which your companion chain will resolve (even though they have to wait till they come up in the companion chain to actually do anything), Papa Loco would be left standing there for the remainder of the turn.

Your Dreamer/LCB example was correct, by the way.