New Community Questions

edonil

So, working on getting Malifaux started up here locally in Erie, PA, and got a lot of response. I'm just learning the rules myself, but I got to run a few demos, and, if everyone interested starts playing, we'll have about seven of us as things get going. Just curious about some things from other communities-

1. What point scale is going to be good for learning the game, but not being too restrictive? We all tend to settle in at a 'set value' with our other game systems (2000 points for 40k, 50 points for WM) so having an idea of something similar like that would be really handy. From what I've been seeing, it seems like 35 might be the way to go?

2. How long did you guys wait before doing tournaments? At the moment, we're kind of impressed with the game, and I like the layout of the Gaining Ground rules, but we're thinking it's probably a ways off from doing any seriously competitive play like we have in tournaments for other systems.

3. Do any of you have ideas for a multiplayer event that could be used to get a good number of new players involved, but won't be overwhelming?

Thanks in advance!

1. 25 is good because most boxes are set up for that but yes, you're right 30 or 35 is standard for most people I know.

It makes the games about an hour long and gives plenty of models so people can try any number of 'strategerie' they like.

2. At our LGS we waited about a month and a half, so people could get models and some practice games down.

3. We've tried running a territory-based campaign but it never worked out. It was too much at one time and most people didn't care.

Well for point values, 25-35 works pretty well for a good start, 25 being what the most of the starter boxes are at with 35 giving you room to expand.

As for Tournaments, in my area we had the first tournament about 2 months after the first groups. One way to go about it and give everyone a chance to play is to try an open "slow grow" league, when you start a couple weeks at 30ss, then a couple at 35ss, and then a couple of 40ss while leaving it open for entry and exit to just give folks a chance to play games.

As for multiplayer events, they work but they can be a bit daunting as a lot of multiplayer games break down into multiple players ganging up on one player they going against each other if its an odd number or breaking down into 2 on 2 games based on deployment, but when doing them, remember the strategy and Shared Treasure Hunt, Shared Claim Jump and Shared Supply wagon seem to work best as multiplayer games (In my experience)