NMM tutorials?

Malcontent

I'm trying my hand at NMM having been an advocate of GW metallic paint for so many years (that's what happens when you own a massive Iron Warriors army!).

I have a basic understanding of the process but the results are not quite working.

Can anybody suggest a quality online tutorial for painting steel (on things other than swords!)?

To be honest NMM is 90% about the placement of highlights rather than colours.

Observation of the 'natural' world is a great part of the trick of getting the highlight placement right. Spend a bit of time observing how light follows the shape of a butter knife or a spoon and you'll have a better understanding of how you want to get the highlights placed.

But when it comes down to the painting, Thin Paint colours are the complete key. EricJ's painting matter thread will give you the best descrioption of how thin to expect your paint to be.

For me (since I use Vallejo Model Colours most of the time) the best guidance I found came from Theirry Husser's website (its in French, so time to brush up your language skills) and he has a PDF of the colours he uses for NMM. He used to be a Rackham Painter, so that should be a good provenance for you.

I agree completely with Dragonsreach that observation will be your best tool in learning. Look at EVERYTHING metal you can in the world around you. Note both the placement of highlight and shadow, along with how bright those highlights are and how dark the shadows are. When you paint NMM you are painting how light reflects off metal, which is different than how it reflects off cloth or other surfaces.

Along those lines, to get convincing NMM, you must have a clear idea about the light source for your figure, since you're painting the reflection of that light. So you need to decide both intensity and direction of the light. Then you need to stay consistant throughout the piece. If you have 2 areas of NMM, and they seem to be reflecting light from different directions, it will completely kill the illusion to the eye of the viewer.

Post up some of your attempts, we can definitely give you feedback and help you progress :)