First try on an oak

notoriousjoe

Thanks! But no, it's not that time eating (about 10h) - the only thing, i hate to do is applying the washes: It's 6times washing and waiting 1/2h until the tree is dry again.

And there is some great material for applying the leaves (every single leaf is readily punched out and coloured slightly different in 1:45+ scale and glued to a "twig"-matting - i LOVE it!) - you just have to cut it fitting and arrange it.

Today, I will post two pictures of the popular citadel-(GW)-tree, one is original-plastic-foliage, the other one is pimped with my favourite foliage.

Got some new pics:

For size-comparison: Newly build oak/citadel tree/confrontation mini:

oak_comparison.JPG

Detailed view of foliage:

oak_foliage.JPG

Comparison of foliage (citadel-tree):

citadel_comparison.JPG

Edited by notoriousjoe

@AvatarForm:

1. I buy it at "Silhouette", a german company http://www.mininatur.de/products_productoverview_details.php?lang=en&id=980&kat=⊂=&scale=2&finish= - there's nothing like it on the market! Flip through the pages - they're selling awesome stuff!

2. As you can see, oregano wouldn't work that well, because the leaves "silhouette" produces have the characteristic shapes of the real thing and are connected by a "twig-matting"

Here's a "out-of-the-box" picture of the foliage matting:

matting.JPG

3. I used two different wires: A stronger aluminium-wire for the bigger branches (Aluminium is very easy to bend - even when sculpey is wrapped around it and you have to alter the shape (without destroying the sculpey-surface).

The second one is indeed a thin copper-wire. I used sculpey for those too, because I wanted the smaller branches to look uneven. The smallest twigs come from the foliage-matting.

4. One suggestion: Go out and find some real oaks to imitate the shape - cause when you want to build some other trees, it looks nicer if they differ in more than just the shape of the leaves (a beech has another silhouette than an oak...).

Have fun building your own! Since I want to build 2-3 middle-sized oaks and some beeches I will provide a step-by-step guide soon...

@AvatarForm:

1. I buy it at "Silhouette", a german company http://www.mininatur.de/products_productoverview_details.php?lang=en&id=980&kat=⊂=&scale=2&finish= - there's nothing like it on the market! Flip through the pages - they're selling awesome stuff!

2. As you can see, oregano wouldn't work that well, because the leaves "silhouette" produces have the characteristic shapes of the real thing and are connected by a "twig-matting"

Here's a "out-of-the-box" picture of the foliage matting:

matting.JPG

3. I used two different wires: A stronger aluminium-wire for the bigger branches (Aluminium is very easy to bend - even when sculpey is wrapped around it and you have to alter the shape (without destroying the sculpey-surface).

The second one is indeed a thin copper-wire. I used sculpey for those too, because I wanted the smaller branches to look uneven. The smallest twigs come from the foliage-matting.

4. One suggestion: Go out and find some real oaks to imitate the shape - cause when you want to build some other trees, it looks nicer if they differ in more than just the shape of the leaves (a beech has another silhouette than an oak...).

Have fun building your own! Since I want to build 2-3 middle-sized oaks and some beeches I will provide a step-by-step guide soon...

Thanks mate.

By any chance could you tell me if the sizes/scales differ? If they do, which would be the most suitable for 30mm (the one you used)?

Sure. The game is something like 1:50, so I would only use the 1:45 scale (thats's a bit larger but for tabletop-game-terrain even better). 1:87 or 1:160 is way to small and also less detailed...

If you follow the link below, you will find the complete range of 1:45 stuff:

http://www.mininatur.de/products_productoverview_list.php?lang=en&scale=2

How durable are those foliage twig matting things? After they are applied, would they tend to fall apart through general wear and tear rather quickly, unless you're extraordinarily protective of the terrain piece? That'd be my main concern with attempting a project like this.

I don't know exactly, how durable they are (and I will not test the degree of durability), but some single leaves might fall off, if the terrain is heavily used or frequently dropped to the floor. Of course you can reattach them in such cases or exchange the matting.

The matting itself is glued to the branches, so it is rather a question of the glue-quality.

In my opinion trees are way more durable than miniatures, but to be honest: The original citadel-plastic-leaves might probably be more resistant to little children or dogs...

I don't know exactly, how durable they are (and I will not test the degree of durability), but some single leaves might fall off, if the terrain is heavily used or frequently dropped to the floor. Of course you can reattach them in such cases or exchange the matting.

The matting itself is glued to the branches, so it is rather a question of the glue-quality.

In my opinion trees are way more durable than miniatures, but to be honest: The original citadel-plastic-leaves might probably be more resistant to little children or dogs...

I just know when I tried to make trees with glued-on-foliage in the past, the foliage fell apart pretty easily. But as you said that might have been a glue quality issue.

Since then I've been making "desolated forests" where the trunks are burst midway up. So no reason to worry about foliage issues :)

if you use a superthin superglue, you can saturate the foam to make it a solid! it will become hot and smelly, but i did it lots without colorations of any kind

now if it gets too hot if you use it on a biiig piece, i dont know

Sure. The game is something like 1:50, so I would only use the 1:45 scale (thats's a bit larger but for tabletop-game-terrain even better). 1:87 or 1:160 is way to small and also less detailed...

If you follow the link below, you will find the complete range of 1:45 stuff:

http://www.mininatur.de/products_productoverview_list.php?lang=en&scale=2

Thanks for your prompt info.

I think Hall of Heroes in Sydney can get this range in for me... all I need to do is ask before Im next in Sydney.