Lucius help

FrereSebastian

So I was curious as to what to do with the Lawyers when running a lucius crew.

As pointed out in some other threads, the lawyers all need high cards to get their spells off, but so does lucius. So is it really worth it to take the Lawyer, or two of them, in in a scrap with Lucius?

If so, what would be some good uses for them? Their spells are a lot of fun and are pretty nifty as well as the model being hard to wound 2, but they are 7 soulstone models...

What do you guys think?

2 no way. You'll never have the cards to make use of 2 in a scrap.

However, I make use of 1 quite often. If you don't try to cast on masters, cross examination is pretty close to unstoppable vs most models (constructs, frozen heart and ortegas being the exception) as when you get it off, you auto trigger- 1 wp.

Don't auto pass on taking them vs raspy either just because of frozen heart and constructs. Making models not friendly will put a dent in the ice mirrors.

2 no way. You'll never have the cards to make use of 2 in a scrap.

However, I make use of 1 quite often. If you don't try to cast on masters, cross examination is pretty close to unstoppable vs most models (constructs, frozen heart and ortegas being the exception) as when you get it off, you auto trigger- 1 wp.

Don't auto pass on taking them vs raspy either just because of frozen heart and constructs. Making models not friendly will put a dent in the ice mirrors.

Constructs and Frozen Heart are only immune to morale duels, so they really are not a exception. However Ortega's stubborn makes it harder to cast wp spells on them.

As for playability I just haven't taken the time to try one yet. His capacity to shutdown other models and to force your oppenent to burn out his control hand to prevent up to 3 nasty spells sounds pretty good to me. Taking 2 and not cheating the spells will cost you 2 control cards to get off 6 chances to cast mean spells doesn't sound like the worst idea, big gamble though, but large payoff.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was thinking the same thing the lawyers are high cost, but the pain in the ass that they can possibly be is pretty awesome...

I was thinking if you take a lot of guild guard and a captain plus the two lawyers that would be pretty model efficient.

Say a sample 35 SS engagement

Lucius +4

Lawyer -7

Lawyer -7

Captain -7

guild guard (4) -16

This gives you 2 ss left over to help lucius out in a pinch...

I would take the guild guards and activate them first, draw out some fire on high priority models, then activate lucius/captain, and save the lawyers for last, hopefully having forced the opponent to use up his hand for other instances.

If not the lawyers could indeed be used to drain the opponents hand.. if you think about it they could be used first just to be like, "hey all of this nasty stuff will occur to you if you don't waste most of your hand in the first three or four activations of the game. The two lawyers and one or two of his/her models, depending on initiative.

What do you guys think?

I have only tried a lawyer a couple of times and they were with Marcus but now I am starting to use Lucius I liked the lawyer but the cards that they need are the same as what Lucius needs to issue orders. So I would be worried especially if I took 2 that they wouldn't have the cards needed to pull anything off properly without being relatively lucky with flips.

My main plan would be to force combat models to discard cards in order to walk. Then your opp has the choice of either discarding cards to make them useful or sitting in front of a shooting force without being able to move.

Constructs and Frozen Heart are only immune to morale duels, so they really are not a exception. ...

Huh...? Resisting Cross-Examination is considered a Morale Duel, so Frozen Hearts, Constructs, Undead and Spirits are indeed unaffected by it.

As for the actual question, I think one Lawyer is a nice addition to Lucius, two is a bit redundant. They're squishy and don't really add any damage output to your crew. I'd take a second Captain or Ryle before a second Lawyer.

This is of course just my own personal opinion, without actually having tried it out. For all I know two lawyers might work better than I'd think.. ;)

As for the actual question, I think one Lawyer is a nice addition to Lucius, two is a bit redundant. They're squishy and don't really add any damage output to your crew. I'd take a second Captain or Ryle before a second Lawyer.

This is of course just my own personal opinion, without actually having tried it out. For all I know two lawyers might work better than I'd think.. ;)

I know what you mean, they are 7 ss models who vie for the same high cards as Lucius, although they do prefer the raven/crow suit where Lucius prefers the rams...

My list that I made has its own problems just due to the lack of the drill sergeant, and it doesnt have Austringers either... hmm

Iono, I think I'll just have to try it out.. It could have a lot of potential to be a very control based band, or it could crash and burn into flames :)

Either way I can't find out until June cause no one at my Uni plays Malifaux :(

Cross Examination, morale duel is great but only worth casting if you have the crows in you hand to cast it. Probably the most powerful. I still would take the Lawyer against models immune to morale duels because of Censure is the spell I would be casting the most.

Censure is easiest spell to cast and the best in controlling your oppenent. 7 to cast is not that hard also a 14 resist means most models (avg WP 6) would need a 9 or better to resist. Without cheating it has a near 50% chance of success on the flip.

Lawyers are not damage output models, they are control models. They work best in denying scheme and strategies. Remember this is a game about getting more VP than your oppenent you can do that by denying your oppenent. Lawyer has a good chance of denying the actions of 3 of you opponent's models in one activation. Imagine 2 lawyers against the gremlins you could shut down the crew and pick off the ones you need to from range. Now combine Menace from the guild captain and guardsman and you can really shut down the other crew.