Thoughts on this style of Pandora crew?

adamr

So I'm looking into getting a second master for a bit of a different playstyle... I realise Pandora isn't too far away from Zoraida (my first) but I also kind of want to be able to use some of the models I already have.

Initially I sort of disregarded Pandora because of the fact that it seemed like a lot of people played her and that the general consensus was/is that she was kind of overpowered, and I didn't want people to groan when I put her on the table. However after losing eight games in a row with Zoraida I'd have to say I'm prepared to take a little overpoweredness if it means I can at least tie a game.

The thing is I still want to do something a little different and not take the obvious models with her, so I had the idea of focussing a crew on getting the opponent's models to fall back until they were off the table.

So how would you build a crew like that? Take things like Hamelin (with Piper's Lure)? Jack Daw and the Hanged? I like the idea of the Insidious Madness when the model comes out... Also I probably should mention that Malifaux is my first miniatures game, so I probably could use a little tactics and stuff too just for good measure.

Thanks in advance...

So I'm looking into getting a second master for a bit of a different playstyle... I realise Pandora isn't too far away from Zoraida (my first) but I also kind of want to be able to use some of the models I already have.

Initially I sort of disregarded Pandora because of the fact that it seemed like a lot of people played her and that the general consensus was/is that she was kind of overpowered, and I didn't want people to groan when I put her on the table. However after losing eight games in a row with Zoraida I'd have to say I'm prepared to take a little overpoweredness if it means I can at least tie a game.

The thing is I still want to do something a little different and not take the obvious models with her, so I had the idea of focussing a crew on getting the opponent's models to fall back until they were off the table.

So how would you build a crew like that? Take things like Hamelin (with Piper's Lure)? Jack Daw and the Hanged? I like the idea of the Insidious Madness when the model comes out... Also I probably should mention that Malifaux is my first miniatures game, so I probably could use a little tactics and stuff too just for good measure.

Thanks in advance...

I infact have many thoughts on this! I will share a few and hopefully they will help =)

First off, Pandora is not Overpowered ;) The people who outright call her that just don't understand where her weaknesses are. So don't let that stop you my friend, she is not overpowered... .just really really mean heh. She makes you and your opponent pay for every mistake heavily.

So with that said I would direct you to my Pandora Tactica, the link is in my signature and there you will find 10's of pages of Pandora goodness with the oowie-gooie center that is her crew. That should give you a wealth of insight into how she works and some play styles with her.

But onto this specific idea! Flat out, I will tell you that it IS a very hard one to make work due to the number of models that you simply can not make flee by normal means. Models like Undead and Constructs won't run from Terrifying and are immune to morale duels (but not to falling back!). So you will need a hefty amount of things like Pandora's trigger (be sure to look at her V2 card, again link in my sig) and make sure you have the v2 card of hers.

But I think you may be able to pull this off... sadly I do not have Hamelin, the Hanged, and Jack Daw memorized or on me at the moment so I can't give you specifics till later tonight. But I think you may be able to engiineer something along this line. The thing you will need to make sure you do, is put yourself in a position that your opponents models will fall back towards the board edge you want them to. You could probably make good use of Lilitu and Hamelin because of their Lure. You Lure the target towards the board edge as far as you can, Lilitu can do this easier with her trigger. If you can get them up to the board edge, you are pretty much set. Just have Pandora use a spell on the target and get her trigger to make them fall off the board!

You could theoretically also get some use out of the Mature Nephilim for his Wing Buffet to push people around, but I think I'm reaching with that. But what you should keep in mind is, you want to try and take models that can move your opponent around. Get them near a board edge, then make them fall back. If they are adjacent to it, then they can fall off the edge and woot!

I'll keep this in mind and try to post more later tonight when I have my books on me. Till then, look at the tactica.