Battle Brush Studios Commission Painting Log

Sigur

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After some sitting around, thinking of possible colour schemes for the steam tank, I came up with this:

bild-8590.jpg

I didn't want to go for a metallic hull because nowhere else in the army are large bodies of full metallic colour so I opted to go for a scheme not unlike the one misterjustin (google him if you haven't heard of him yet. He's good at that miniatures painting stuff ;) He runs Secret Weapon too.) but instead of putting a focus on weathering, I'll keep the paintjob cleaner, more classic. I also added that little variation on the colour scheme to make it a bit more diverse instead of just keeping one colour on each side. So that's the thing I'll be working on mostly for the next days. How do you like the colourscheme?

@Mergoth: Thank you very much; that's nice to hear. :)

So here's yet another picture that shows hardly any progress:

bild-8609.jpg

bild-8610.jpg

I decided to just not do the yellow and black furnance. maybe I'll do the top a bit more colourful (hence why it's still yellow). Hope you like it!

Okies, Steam Tank is finished (apart from the scripture in the front and a tiny detail in the back I just noticed now):

bild-8612.jpg

bild-8611.jpg

FUN FACT: The parchment lookalike thing in the back sports the letters FF and RW which actually is supposed to mean "Fridolin Feichtinger" and "Ronaldo Wunderlich", the engineers in charge who worked on the tank. Only after finishing the letters, I noticed that the letters look a lot like "Fast Forward" and "Rewind".

Things have been slow over the Easter holidays. I hope to finish these guys tonight; for now they're still WIP:

bild-8618.jpg

Beautiful work on the Techpriests... can I please have your paint recipe?

Also, if you notice the white mechanicus cog lining on your hoods, please try to edge the fabric in red, just a bit otherwise sometimes, from the wrong angle it looks like Santa's fur-lined cloak.

Hey AvatarForm, thanks for the feedback. Didn't know you were on the Wyrd forums as well (and quite a senior member too). Thanks for the heads up on the Santa syndrome. :D I'll try to fix that a little. As for the painting recipe, any specifics you want to know? And concerning Space Wolves: It's likely that I'll be doing another SW army soon; this time in the traditional 'Eavy Metal colours.

Righty, I'm sorry but here's just another WIP shot (but there's really only very little left to do ;) ):

bild-8621.jpg

Hey AvatarForm, thanks for the feedback. Didn't know you were on the Wyrd forums as well (and quite a senior member too). Thanks for the heads up on the Santa syndrome. :D I'll try to fix that a little. As for the painting recipe, any specifics you want to know? And concerning Space Wolves: It's likely that I'll be doing another SW army soon; this time in the traditional 'Eavy Metal colours.

Righty, I'm sorry but here's just another WIP shot (but there's really only very little left to do ;) ):

Sig, you are most welcome. I recently painted a Dark mechanicus for someone and was given the same advice.

As for recipe, Im simply interested in how you achieved the 'dark' metal' and your specific recipe for the reds... as everyone finishes differently.

When you do the next batch of SW, could you do a step-by step on this recent recipe?

Also, do you do everything by hand, or do you use an airbrush for vehicle blends?

@AvatarForm: Thanks. I hope I'll think of the Step-by-Step thing on the new Space Wolves. Still trying to figure out a good way of doing that colour scheme because balancing that blue/grey is quite a task. I do work with my trusty airbrush but sparingly. I use it on vehicles mainly, on monsters and models with a very strong single-tone scheme like Space Marines. Once a model has a scheme of 50% one colour and 50% another colour, I leave the airbrush out of it. I also use it for varnishing a lot. I guess I could use the airbrush more often really. Like the steam tank. That would have been a premier thing to use the airbrush for but I went for regular brushes instead.

Anyway, here's some sort of update. Originally I had planned to make this text only but what the hell - let's take some pictures! (brb)

So, let's start with the completed stuff. The Steam Tank is fully finished now:

bild-8642.jpg

bild-8643.jpg

Between the Adeptus Mechanicus, steam tank and BA Terminators (see below), there was a little time so I finally tackled (hahaha) this BloodBowl miniature I've meant to paint for a long time because I won him at a painting competition over at GarageGamer's blog. The miniature was made by Gorgon Studios who mostly do ancient historical minis (They good solid ranges on Etruscans and Spartans for instance). I call him Thick McRunfast for obvious reasons. He's not completely finished yet:

bild-8644.jpg

Last but not least, here's the first WIP of the Space Hulk Terminators who are part of the Hybrids/Adeptus Mechanicus/BA Terminators commission project:

bild-8645.jpg

The guy in the middle obviously is the test mini. He's quite a bit darker in real life.

Things that are up next:

.) More Orks!

.) Lots of Blood Angels Terminators!

.) Malifaux! (The Ortegas, yay!)

.) Ironsides Handgunners, General and Battle Standard bearer for the Averland army!

.) ....and the Space Wolves of course!

So that's that. See you soon!

Here's an update on the Terminators. I was told to add freehand stuffs as I please so I added a few bits here and there:

bild-8648.jpg

The shoulder shield/powerfist combo on the guy in the right looks a bit ...well, terrible in the picture but I'll tone that down.

Anyhoo, update:

bild-8649.jpg

The red still is off. It's deeper, less flat and less orange in real life. Sorry about the pictures, no idea what's going wrong all the time. :P Fixed the overbearing hazard stripe pattern on the bald guy by reversing the pattern on the sholder shield thing and making the fingers of the powerglove red again. Looks much more balanced now. Apart from that, I added the white parts to the rmoud, did some more freehand stuffs, worked on the gold and silver as well. Now thinking wether or not I should use green. Nothing big, just proceeding. Hope everyone's having a nice weekend, happy May Day and congrats to John Paul II. on his quick Beatification. The weather is partly cloudy with chance of rain today so I I'll have to think of taking the laundry in before the rain starts. So much for fluffing out the update. Good Speed!

Again, tiny update:

bild-8652.jpg

I actually am just waiting for another little bit of feedback from the client so I know that I'm not totally off his plans. ;)

Comments and critique from you guys also is appreciated always of course!

Stuff looks amazing as always !

But I feel you owe wyrd at least one mini , to post pictures of work on a very specialized board ( this is a wyrd run board dedicated to malifaux ) . I mean out of all your fantastic work all 17 pages I am yet to notice anything Wyrd .

I might be alone but I come to these boards to get away from 40k there are hundreds of boards dedicated to GW games or a mix of all miniature companies .

Again I am not here to offend , I just feel if your going to link your painting service you should have some of the websites own minis .

Thanks for the comment. We had this issue before in this thread (not as friendly worded though ;) ) and I was assured that my thread was O.K. so far. Still, I added a disclaimer in my first post that there was no Malifaux miniatures in this thread so far and that I'll change the note as soon as I add Malifaux miniatures. I completely understand that the lack of these so far can be a little weird for some though.

I've been in talks about some Malifaux commissions in the past months and the first one will be happening soon. A Guild warband featuring most of the Ortegas (my favorites amongst the Malifaux ranges really). The miniatures are ordered and should arrive within the next weeks. Until then, I apologize and assure you my complete understanding and how grateful I am to be allowed to post pictures of other miniatures on here as well.

@Dark Alleycat: :D Thanks very much. That's probably would I should have replied in the first place but it would have come across as a tiny bit cocky I guess. ;)

Update!

bild-8690.jpg

bild-8691.jpg

Things are going a little bit slower these days but I'll try to have this first batch finished by Sunday. C&C welcome as always!