Faction Woes

Sirroelivan

Right, so Malifaux took off in our local gaming club a couple of months ago. I started out with Lilith, but in retrospect am not really a fan of her play style / background.

So I started looking at other masters, trying to avoid the ones that are already played in the club. I've managed to narrow it down to two: Ramos and Som'er Teeth Jones.

Now I was wondering if anyone could give a comparison of these masters with Lilith; regarding play style, diversity in playstyle, difficulty in playing with them, etc...

Thanks in advance.

Well I am oblige the comparison, but as a side bar I think you should play whatever master you like reguardless of who else is playing them. But if this is how you will have the most fun, go for it =)

Ramos

Compared to Lilith, its a bit like night and day. He is not fast, he has powerful ranged support, and access to a huge variety of models that work well with him. He is much more magic heavy then Lilith and while she has an upgrade mechanic for her units, Ramos can generate Spiders from scrap counters. Ramos also has several AE abilities from his models and the variety his crew offers is huge. He is able to play nearly every construct in the game and all of them work well with him.

Its hard to say if he is easier or harder to play then Lilith, I think they are on the same learning curve personally. But he has less tricks then she does. So he is a tad more straight-forward, but he is far from a one trick pony. His crew ranges from super powerful constructs like the Riders and Joss to swarms of small but effective constructs like the Spiders.

Som'er Teath:

Well goblins are all about having a gass and going with the randomness. His particular gremlins (as opposed to Ophelia's) are very random in their effectiveness. I've seen them blow away a master in a single shot and I've seen them blow each other away with a single shot. They are not individually strong, but they are great at swarming you. The Pigs are incredibly fast with their Pigcharge abilities and the big Pig can put some serious hurt on anyone it manages to catch.

He himself is an interesting mix. He can do some nice ranged attacks and provide a little healing for his crew. His crew is mainly ranged from the gremlins and melee from the pigs, but neither are really that durable. The Gremlins are very random and jump the entire scale of good to bad each time to activate one.

If you just want to have a blast and love their flavor, Gremlins are a good choice. But if you want something solid that will work every time, go with Ramos.