From the Journal of Farrahn Moriaden (part 2)

shawnreed343

114 PF, Sept 9th

I’ve had truly a most interesting development today. Upon arrival at my overnight stopover, I came upon a most curious individual from the Souix tribe who goes by the name of Stone Crow. Word is he’s just returned from Malifaux after failing a personal quest to find the legendary Thunderbird, a fabled creature said to be hawk-like and larger than a man, with a great thirty foot wingspan. Truly, I don’t know if such a creature exists or not, but after a friendly chat I managed to convince him to join me when I travel back across the breach as a somewhat impromptu guide. He was certainly reluctant at first, not much of a conversationalist, just staring at me stone-faced and grunting every now and then. But when I showed him a few of my soulstones his eyes lit up. Apparently I’ve been sent by the ancestors to help him find his totem. I certainly mind this very little- I learned later that Stone Crow is a most excellent knife fighter who brings everything he’s got to the table. Most literally, hah! Though you probably miss the humor of it- I’ll explain later.

He desired a certain number of the stones for himself for the blessings of the spirits, and so I made a call to the hut they call a bank in these parts requesting a transfer from the Lords of London, where I know my sizeable deposit of stones is safe. Lordy, you’d have thought I was robbing the man, the way his eyes bugged. I take it they don’t have many special order payment requests out here. A certain amount of complications ensued, but after some words with the mayor and agreement on a 1 stone tax I worked out the details. The shipment isn’t likely to arrive before we’re done with our business however, so I explained to Stone Crow that he would be paid after I had helped him and he had helped me. He grunted, which I took as a good sign.

Apparently word got around town that I was packing generosity and value. Can’t fault the leak seeing as it’s not an actual lie, but it did tend to lose sight of reality after a few trips around town behind my back.

It was after the sun had set, likely no more than three hours ago, when I was finally kicking up my heels with a bit of Blackjack eying myself a couple of particularly pretty Saloon dancers when a few of the boys started accusing me of cheating. Stone-face was there over in the corner, whatever pole he had shoved up his rear in too deep to sit comfortably down for a game of cards. Dastardly. Them boys were so darn terrible I hadn’t even needed to. I’d been holding a Jack up my sleeve, sure, but hadn’t even needed to pull it out. Well, they got the first punch in firmly to my ego. I got the second one firmly to the liar’s face.

Them boys might have been knit pretty close, as they all took offense to my self-defense. Ganged up on me and I’d have probably drawn out serious business if Stone Crow hadn’t gotten to it first. I hear a war-whoop and then two of them are tumbling over their chairs with Bowie knives stuck in them to the hilt. Third one decided to run out and Stone Crow about had him, too, except the lad caught a bit of luck and only got his hat nailed to the doorframe. I tended to forgive Stone-face when I found out the pole he had stuck up his butt involved rather huge Bowie knives. Doubt I’d sit comfy, either. Good lad, Stone-face. Helluva fighter, too. He showed me the other five knives he had around his person and about scalped the lads on the floor for the spirits before I reminded him the barber might not take keen to someone trying to edge out his job.

Had to smooth things over with the bartender but it worked out alright with a few requests for some of his finest vintage and probing questions regarding the prettier of the two dancing girls I’d been eying earlier which turned out to be his niece. Could have been worse. I do have a thing for redheads and raven-hairs. I showed him the Guild documentation and explained that he should forward his request regarding compensation, considering I’m on Guild payroll at present.

Well, the candle is burning low. Truth told, I’ve simply neglected attempting to sleep just yet in anticipation of tomorrow. It’s approximately a thirteen mile hike to the nearest crossing and apparently fifty back East and Southward to find a crossing into California. Stone Crow informs me that prides of Hoarcats are uncommonly thick this year, and I’ve taken the hint by requisitioning a typically unheard-of number of Colt .45 bullets I’ll pick up tomorrow before being off. Also bought some fine oil for my blade and a few hours with a certain redhead. Invigorated as I am, if I don’t put the pen down tomorrow may end up more like work than I desire, so I shall retire for what remains of the night. And I say adieu. For tomorrow the real fun begins.

Edited by shawnreed343

:) Will do! The next is already in the works, and I'll account for the time delay~ I've been gone to friends for the weekend so no real time to put up any more. :) But I thank you for letting me know someone's enjoying them. :D As for the idea of drawings... Well, it's been quite some time sinse I've pulled out the ol' pencil and done any artwork, but given a bit of time and I might try doing so.

Don't worry- the next entry is on the way.