Nico versus Ramos

hippieshopper

Hey internet, I was wondering if I could get some help here.

I played a game last night with some people from my LGS.

It was a 35ss game.

I had Nico, Morty, Killjoy, and 3 punk zombies.

I am not really asking for battle strategies, I just wanted some help on how to get the counters rolling.

They took away the search thing for graverobbers and Morty was pretty useless. He never got exhume down and all I had were...everything but Crows in my hand, so there was no cheating that.

Any help?

If you would like to keep Killjoy (and nothing wrong with that), for 35ss, I would recommend something like:

Nicodem

Grave Spirit

Mortimer

Necropunk

Killjoy

Punk Zombie

2 Canine Remains

4 Extra SSs

With the errata on Exhume, Mortimer should really be generating a corpse token a turn. In a pinch, you could always butcher a Canine Remain, and raise it as a Punk Zombie (a net saving of 3 Soulstones for the cost of the spell).

You said that you weren't really looking for battle strategies, but I'm going to throw a couple of quick ones out based on the above list. First, link the Grave Spirit to Nicodem to give him the benefit of the armor; it really helps his survivability. Second, take the Necropunk over one of the Punk Zombies when you run with a Killjoy list. The Necro has great mobility, and when your opponent takes him out, you can use his Slow to Die to bring out Killjoy.

You get counters when you kill stuff and your stuff dies. Sometimes only when your stuff dies, depending on who you are playing. That being said with your list I would hang back a little and then when the enemy advances bull rush him. As long as you don't have slaughter you should win out, since all the work they go into killing your punk zombie is wasted once Nico gets to cast his spells. Grind them down.

Like Chaos said ideally you start with cheap models and then summon more expensive models with their corpses. Also remember Kill Joy will drop 3 counters, and usually they go all in against him on a turn to bring him down.

Not sure what models you have but I would run something like

Nico

Vulture x2 (this allows you to be a little more aggressive as they can grab counters for Nico)

Necropunks x2 for objectives and getting in the opponents face then once killed bringing Kill Joy in on your turn just in time to activate, and in the perfect place.

Kill Joy

3 dogs to get into their face

Mortimer if that is your poison. I would not even bother with exhume judt use him to move everyone up as fast as possible.

Bring the fight to them and by the time they have it under control you have your wave of punk zombies to stand your ground with.

Choas I think he didnt want Mortimer in his list. I personally dont like Mortimer. I think taking anything else but him would be better.

Necro Punks are fast but they really lack in the "hurting" deptartment. For 2 stones more I think Punk Zombies are so much better.

Have you tried the convict gunslinger? He would be a straight swap for Mortimer.

The necropunk is more a Kill Joy delivery system. It is not really suppose to do much other then get where it needs to get die and bring in Kill Joy at the opponents door step.

When playing Ramos you are pretty much going to have to rely mostly on your own guys dying to get more counters. As long as it is not slaughter do not be afraid to throw your models head long into danger against their more elite guys. Against the spiders it is pretty useless since they are as likely to come back as your own guys are. Against Ramos, Tina, Hoffman, and the Dreamer you are pretty much going to have to provide your own counters, which is why cheap models are nice. More death means more opportunities to summon.

Yeah, I know about scrap and corpse counters, I just didn't know any other way to get them other than killing stuff and exhume.

I don't like Mortimer, yeah I am sure there are some people who make him work, but he didn't do anything for me. I wasn't going to burn my hand just to get Exhume to work, I want to save my crows for Reanimator.

Another thing I think I did wrong was summon a flesh construct instead of Punks. With 'Frankie', I have to discard something or he's slow, and with Killjoy it is the same thing. Killjoy worked way better for me than a flesh construct. KJ is a beast, I wrecked everything but Ramos and that Brass arachnid. It was a bunch of bombs that finally ended Killjoy.

Also, I don't really like to proxy things other than mindless zombies, so I was just stuck with what I had.

I personally love Mortimer. In most games I can summon a model every turn with Mortimer and Nicodem together (unless I just get really bad hands/draws). With a list of that size I start with a dog or two (for Killjoy), 1 or 2 punk zombies, Nicodem, Mortimer 1 or 2 vultures and Killjoy (plus whatever else I feel like adding, maybe some miners for range). Then each turn I summon punk zombies as fast as possible. Depending upon the strategy I might go with some necropunks, etc.

i agree with kbdrand, mortimer is awesome. in a 30ss game, which is what we normally play, by turn 2, with mortimer, i'll have at least 2 more punk zombies, if not something nastier (although i love punk zombies, their really good for their cost)

As for a tactic... which i know wasn't asked for, but meh... i like the idea of having 2 vultures, using 1 to fly out onto the field and turning into Killjoy, its give a nice "bomb" effect to the front line. Fly, drop killjoy, and watch the carnage ensue :)