Glossy Paint?

Svenn

Has anyone ever used glossy paint for their miniatures? I picked up some glossy black the other day with the idea of using it to paint black leather on my Rotten Belle. After painting it on it looks a bit too shiny, more like latex than leather.

However, I did have another idea. I wonder how it would look if I were to drybrush the black gloss on top of the flat black to create natural shiny highlights. I'm going to test it out tonight I think. I can't tell if it will just look really weird or really cool.

Anyone else have ideas on how to use glossy paint?

Are you using Vallejo Model Color paint? I can't stand the glossy black, it looks awful however I use it. Their normal black however is excellent - extremely matt and covers well.

Although the paint is glossy it won't offer any additional protection. You still need to add varnish for that.

I would suggest painting the leather with normal flat colours and adding some brush-on satin varnish when you have finished. That will give it some shine, but not too much.

Instead of drybrushing it on, if you thin it down drastically with water (or whatever other thinning agent you use), you will be able to give the effect over the entire section you want to do as leather, rather than just the raised parts that the drybrushing would hit.

Thinning it will allow you to get "some" of the gloss without being too much. Think of it as glazing it with a thinned down glossy black.