Freedom

icemantis99

The big man ran, booted feet kicking up a orange dust cloud as he stumbled across the dry ground.

Damn the Guild! William Gunnerson, known to his few friends as Willy, and everyone else as "Big Will", thought to himself.

All he had wanted was a bit of fun.

Two Weeks Earlier...

"Two Pair, Whores over Tens!" Will grinned at the dismay dawning across the table as his victim saw his fate caught in Will's hand.

His victim, a bespectacled little accountant fresh through the Breach, began trembling as Will laughed.

"Now the pot, last I remember, was... What was it again, neighbor?" Asked Will, slapping a meaty paw on the little man's shoulder.

"Two... T-Two thousand Guild S-scrip..." The accountant stuttered. the accountant was terrified. He didn't have two thousand Guild Scrip. He didn't have two hundred. He had been contracted to work fro the Guild for five years to pay off a debt his family Earthside had incurred.

"That's right, neighbor. Two thousand Guilders. Now, I may be wrong, but I don't think you have two thousand Guilders." Big Will said, looming over the smaller man. His voice was almost friendly as he continued.

"Now, we're being friendly here. And I'd like to continue being friendly. Wouldn't you, neighbor?"

*To Be Continued*

Was typing up at work, had to cut it short because I didn't have a way to save it. Here's more!

"Now, we're being friendly here. And I'd like to continue being friendly. Wouldn't you, neighbor?"

Will waited for the shivering accountant to nod before continuing.

"People I'm not friendly with have this horrible habit of getting into accidents. And that just breaks my heart, just breaks it clean in two. So just to be safe, why don't you give me all the money you got on you? I wouldn't want someone mugging you on your way home."

Flinching at the sharp repitition of the word 'break', the little accountant hastily pulled out his wallet and held it up.

"And while we're at it, that little gold watch you're wearing, too. Shiny things have a way of bringing trouble, and you wouldn't want trouble, now would you?"

At the mention of his watch, a farewell gift from his wife, the accountant's shivers double. His lips quiver as pleas stick in his throat. Smiling at the fear on the little man's face, Will claps the accountant on the back again.

"Don't worry, neighbor. I'll give your watch back, I promise. I'm just keeping it safe for you. I trust you to make good on the pot, you trust me to hold your watch for you, you know? And don't worry about thanking me, it's just neighborly to welcome a new friend to town."

Tears pooling in his eyes, the accountant slowly takes off his prized watch and gives it to his tormentor. But Will still doesn't leave.

"And as for that pot, why, don't you worry about it. But if you don't mind, there's a favor I'd like to ask of you. Since we're friends and all, you wouldn't mind doing me a favor? Nah, you're a good man, you wouldn't mind doing your buddy Will a favor! Anyways, seems me and the Guild have gotten into a little disagreement about taxes. Nothing big, they just seem to think I should pay them. But luckily for me, I made myself a new friend who can make all that go... away. Isn't that right... Say, what is your name anyways?"

"M-michael. It's M-Michael." Said the accountant.

Big Will laughed, slamming the poor man with another huge hand to the back. "Right, Michael! Good strong name, a man's name! Mike and Will, good sound to that. I think we'll be friends for a long time, Mike. Anyways, you think you can make that little misunderstanding with taxes go away for me, Mike?"

Hanging his head, Michael nods miserably.

"Hell, you do that for me, I'll even get your watch shined for you before I give it back."

Looking up, Michael smiles, and dares to ask his new boss a question. "C-can I get m-my watch back, please? It... It was f-from my wife, and she'd be terribly angry with me if she knew I'd lost..."

Michael's rapidly speeding words trail off into a whimper as Big Will's huge hand tightens on his neck, digging into his flesh. Slowly, the giant form of Big Will leaned over, putting his lips next to Michaels.

"I'm sure, and I mean sure, I heard you wrong. Because we both know you haven't lost your watch, you've just given it to me for safekeeping, right, Mike? And if you're a good friend of mine, I'll be sure to keep your watch safe, understand? Once I feel we're even with regards to the money you owe me, I'll make sure you get your watch back. I don't think I'm being unfair to you, Mike. You sat down to play cards under your own steam. But by all means, if you think I'm being unfair, just tell me, mike. We're friends, I can take it. All you have to do... Is speak up. Am I being mean, Mike?"

As Will whispers, his thick fingers dig into Michael's neck, grinding, squezing, crushing, eliciting a small groan from the accountant with each question. Finally, finally Will stops whispering in Michaels ear to let him answer. Barely audible, Michael grunts a small "No."

Letting Michael go, Will quickly straightens. "Good!" He booms, bruising Michael's back one last time as he walks away. "If you need to get ahold of me, Mike, just come on back here. I'll make sure you find me when you need to."

To be continued!

• 5 weeks later...