First Game - NLos vs CoD

redben

After a read-through of the rulebook I played my first game of Malifaux down at the local games club today. I played the Legion of Sorrows taking on Rasputina, both straight out the starter boxes. We kept things to one scheme and no strategies to keep things simple. He got Claim Jump and I got Treasure Hunt which meant we immediately began to converge our forces onto the centre of the table.

The terrain feature chosen for the Claim Jump was a partially ruined building which blocked a lot of LoS and meant the first two turns didn't see too much happening as neither force could really see each other. With Pandora being relatively slow moving she found herself out of the action a bit longer than everything else.

Come the third turn, Rasputina unleashed her spells and took out two Woes. A Gamin took the treasure, my opponent figuring it was important to keep me from it. Candy and Kade took care of the Gamin and did a bit of damage to the other constructs. Pandora caught up and began forcing WP checks. Cade took on a Gamin and the Golem in combat and was more than holding his own before Rasputina dropped a devastating December's Curse.

Come the end of the battle ony Rasputina and the Golem remained, both of which were on the terrain feature and thus the day was won by the Decembrists.

A couple of questions coming out of it. Is casting a ranged spell into a melee combat subject to the same rules for firing into combat with a regular ranged attack? As long as she is successful in doing it, can Pandora use Pacify/Incite repeatedly until she runs out of enemy models or just twice? Can a model cast the same spell more than once per activation?

A couple of questions coming out of it. Is casting a ranged spell into a melee combat subject to the same rules for firing into combat with a regular ranged attack? As long as she is successful in doing it, can Pandora use Pacify/Incite repeatedly until she runs out of enemy models or just twice? Can a model cast the same spell more than once per activation?

Casting a ranged spell into melee is only subject to the "firing into melee" rules if it has a :maliranged symbol with the range.

I believe that Pandora can keep casting pacify/incite, check the errata.

Yes, a model may (unless otherwise noted in the description) keep casting a spell as long as they the APs to do it. (i.e. Rasputina could cast December's Curse three times in a turn, twice with both of her general AP, and once more for casting expert)

Hope this helps! :D

Each spell or attack can only generate on trigger, but in the case of Incite/Pacify and also Overpower it generates a new casting which means you can activate another trigger. So, in both cases you can keep going forever as long as you keep getting successes and don't run out of targets. That's the reason why Biting Chill can't take a model to 0 wounds...

Edited by dboeren