Sonnia Tactics...

Jolli_Da_awesome

I was wondering about tactics that other people have been using with Sonnia. I've played 3 games with her so far, and love her. So, it is only natural that I want to keep improving my game with her.

I have found that her Flame Burst is amazing especially when used with Confiscated Lore and Explosive Burst. Advanced Couter Spell is a life saver (and a good use for low Book suits cards, or pairs of low cards in your control hand). And Magic Seeker has been of good use also.

The spells/abilities/talents that I haven't been able to get much out of so far however are Flame Wall, Inferno, and Absorb Magic. I know that Flame wall is good for making people think twice about a charge lane, but I haven't got much good use out of it (I have a feeling though this might be because I've played my 3 games against a Sesmaus and Belle list, and am afraid that he will Lure my own models through the Flame Wall.

Inferno and Absorb magic seem to fall into the same category for me... she has to be in melee pretty much for them to work... but she seems very fragile up that close to the enemy.

So, thoughts, ideas, experiences with Sonnia are welcome.

ps: I finally got Violation of Magic to work last night... so hard to set up since most models are below CA 6, so you have to beat models down to 1 WD without killing them, but wow was it nice when I got it to work. Once again, gods bless Confiscated Lore!!

She's definitely not as fragile up close as you think. Inferno and Absorb magic are great, and she's got the stones to burn to heal herself or resist damage. Use Flame Burst (with or Without Confiscated Lore) to close the distance, then kick her into melee mode.

Inferno forces someone to have to try to disengage if they can't kill you outright. If you keep them there, they take the damage. If they kill you, they take more. Place a flame wall behind them to help keep them there. If you can get away with activating Sonnia near the end of the turn, charge a model that's already activated, then pop Inferno.

"Oops, you've already activated and can't run away from the queen of witch burning? That's so sad. Here, see my tears? No? Oh, that's right; they've evaporated from the blazing inferno swirling around us. It's a good thing I'm wearing the fireproof coat."

Absorb Magic can get you new cards, but it also takes cards away from your opponent. Never underestimate the power of control hand manipulation.

Sonnia is actually an amazing melee Master. She just isn't the outright damage dealer that you see in Lady J, Lilith, or Victoria.

I don't have my cards in front of me right now, but doesn't Flame Wall give cover as well?

Follow up...

I got Sonnia into melee last night (Taelor acted as her body guard and buddy up close), and she did very well. Getting the initiative against another Master is huge as she can shut down their spell casting by hurting them with her blade, and making them discard cards and me drawing them is great (I know they discard a card for each RAM... but do I just draw one card and heal one WD no matter how many RAMs are in my combat total?).