Tuesday Tussles at RIW Hobbies, Livonia, MI

nerdelemental

Bowen, smigs, and Mav:

Good times guys. I appreciate the hospitality and its nothing new to see a wm/whore-ds tourny dominating table space.

Although I doubt I was ever really in my game i thoroughly enjoyed it and always like an opportunity to get better ideas against nino.

The board is super rad, and I've been eying that method with printed stuff on foam board, and liked it a lot after seeing it in person.

See ya guys at gencon!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the stupid "Storm of the Century" hits too early, I'm still planning on making it up. I'm especially excited because I have my hearing back and I'm anxious to hear all the snide comments you all make behind my back.

(sorry it's been so annoying for several months - I'm literally at 100% with a wicked awesome warstory to go along with it!)

:P

Like I didn't try that a hundred times.

And swimmer ear goop.

And professional cleaning. Twice.

Problem was in the Eustacian Tube.

And it was gross. And terrifying how they fixed me. I'm waiting until we're eating to tell you the details...

Lesson learned kids: Don't stick crayons, paint brushes or peas in your ear.

Thanks for the game Dave. I think with a couple of more spins on the So'mer-go-round and I will finally figure out how he runs. I think I am going to have to leave Pere out next time. He is a MVP but really doesn't teach me how to use my crew.

Hopefully it won't be another 6 months before I play again. :)

• 4 weeks later...

It'll be great to meet you and play some with you, Warpi. You're VERY welcome to join us and you will not feel like an extra wheel I promise!

We have ~6 minimum up to mid teens in numbers any Tuesday. If you know RIW (sounds like you do based upon your other questions) we meet in the Green Room just before 6pm. We play until 10:30 or 11.

We have tons of terrain and table space and you can borrow some of my pieces until you get a decent sized crew of your own up and running while you're in the new stages (so you won't feel too under-prepared). We'll help get you up to speed on rules, too. Like any gaming group, some of us are more competitive than we may need to be but the vast majority of us are out to have relaxing and casual gaming nights.

Ask for me when you pop in, but we'll typically find you and welcome you in before you feel too lost and exposed.

Do you have a crew yet or are you still on the edge of the ledge? ;)

No I don't have a crew yet. I barely know anything about this game, besides that the mini's look great and I like the feel. I'm actually waiting for the PDF manual to be released. I've invested too much into other miniature games only to have them die out or never get played, or I just didn't like the rules. Such as Confrontation, and Mordheim.

• 1 month later...

1. So it was saturady, not tuesday, but I had a Mali game.

2. I WILL be up this Tuesday (4-19)! Dave, I have Ogre's cards for you to swap out.

3. Mav needs to learn how to demo games! :P

So, I had a great 1/2 game vs Mav. The 1st half wa sthe demo he totally blew. :P

Once he took over (guy quit, can't blame him, with Mav's "Let's see if you can swim in the ocean with hungry sharks." style of demoing) I got to find out what Von Schill and Freicorp are all about.

Damn they are tough! Heal my heel!

The game came down to a wounded Von Schill (healed 10 billion times) and librarian v Judge and a wounded death marshal.

The Judge worked the librarian over with flurry till she bit it. But he got dusted by Von Schill. The marshal managed to force the last few stones out of Von Schill, then Von Schill, jumped back and popped a shot into the marshal, killing him. On the way down, slow to die let the marshal cap Von Schill. No healing for you!

Game over. Everyone's dead!

WOOT! That was fun! Those guys are pretty hardcore. I dig it.

Hi, new player in the area. My wife and I picked up Colette and Perdita and are learning the game from scratch. One of these days I will have to stop in for a game at RIW, but I normally play Warhammer at Pandemonium on Tuesdays.

Gaming whore for the win!

We're all pretty much in that boat and fully understand and endorse your multiple gaming interests. Mali is misleadingly complex and getting good teaching of the basics will likely help you get your feet grounded well. Keep us in mind if you ever have a light Tuesday evening or just want to take a week off of your normal schedule to get up to speed in this system. We'll take care of you (clearly not Maverickman, though - I hear he sucks at demoing!)

;)

Welcome to the fold even if it does take a while to meet in person!

As posted in our Michigan Gaming FB:

Conversing with Justin - Mr. Hollywood - about how long it takes to paint full units of models, I offered to bring up my painting gear and give a few pointers on tech that will drastically speed up the time to get a model to tabletop standards. Tomorrow night at RIW. If you bring an assembled, primed model, I'll get it done in ~30 min.

Oh, and using my paint and brushes. The big trick is in washes. Won't win awards, but if you want to get a unit to tabletop quickly, I'd estimate that a 10 man unit could go from primed to fully painted in 2-3 hours, tops! Single figs can look decent in under 30 minutes.

:elefant: That's right Ladies and Gentlemen see it here first! :elefant:

Welcome to the RIW Freak Show!

SEE THE WYRD MONKEY PAINT IN FRONT OF YOUR VERY OWN EYES!

It's amazing! Children, be not afraid. Ladies, bring a strong burly man to protect you! This freak of nature is a sight to behold!

Not only does he paint better than most or all of the local competition but, he does it faster too! He'll finish a "little man" in 30 minutes, with a smile on his face!

Prepare yourselves to be shocked and awed as you see things that can never be unseen...

:elefant: SO STEP RIGHT UP AND PREPARE TO BE AMAZED!!!:elefant:

Disclaimer: Only adults and supervised children will be allowed to attend as the monkey has tendencies to become vulgar and throw bodily fluids onto the crowds.

After the show, there will be a public stoning of the monkey from all of us not able to paint as fast/good. Start looking for your throwing rocks now...

Edited by maverickman5

:elefant: That's right Ladies and Gentlemen see it here first! :elefant:

Welcome to the RIW Freak Show!

SEE THE WYRD MONKEY PAINT IN FRONT OF YOUR VERY OWN EYES!

It's amazing! Children, be not afraid. Ladies, bring a strong burly man to protect you! This freak of nature is a sight to behold!

Not only does he paint better than most or all of the local competition but, he does it faster too! He'll finish a "little man" in 30 minutes, with a smile on his face!

Prepare yourselves to be shocked and awed as you see things that can never be unseen...

:elefant: SO STEP RIGHT UP AND PREPARE TO BE AMAZED!!!:elefant:

Disclaime: Only adults and supervised children will be allowed to attend as the monkey has tendencies to become vulgar and throw bodily fluids onto the crowds.

After the show, there will be a public stoning of the monkey from all of us not able to paint as fast/good. Start looking for your throwing rocks now...

Can you feed the monkey?

• 2 weeks later...

It's kinda cool to see some old friends making it back up to play. Sinsation and Paintvagrant- good to have you amongst us again and hope you can make it up to play as much as you can!

I know Drew - Sinsation, will be on the later side of arrival until summer so we should get in better habits of using this thread to commit to different opponents. Might enable those late arrivals to feel more free to come up if they know they won't just be sitting around watching all the other games. :)