Final Fantasy Behemoth

thetang22

For a very long time I've wanted to find or create a miniature for this monster from the Final Fantasy video game series. Just like the name Behemoth suggests, it is generally very large. Here are a few pics for those who aren't familiar:

behemothcc-o.jpg

Behemoth3.jpg

The design has been pretty similar from game to game, with only minor stylistic changes. I'm not the greatest sculptor, so I'm hesitant to take this project on from scratch. I've always had it in the back of my mind to keep an eye out for anything close to this. The best thing I've ever seen is the Demon by JMD miniatures:

img4720a5356f881.jpg

It's really not that bad of a representation to be honest, but I've got a few concerns with it. First, its a standup model rather than being on all 4's. Behemoths have been shown as standing in some Final Fantasies, but I prefer the "on all 4's" look. Next, the face doesn't have quite the look I'm going for. I like the big demon canine type face rather than the skeletal demon face. The horns are also not quite correct. Between the pose and the face, it would require a lot of resculpting to do it the way I would like it to be done. Lastly, its very expensive if I remember correctly, and I find a hard time justifying paying a lot of money for a big detailed model just to hack it up and try and resculpt it with less quality details.

If I could create another head using bits from other pieces in scale with this to create something close to it then it might be more feasible, but as is it looks like that model might not be right for me. I'm curious if anybody has any other suggestions. Just remember, the model is supposed to be pretty big compared to a human sized model. I'm thinking standard 28-32mm minis for a scale comparison.

Well, the (old ?) GW manticore could be used as the basis body.. but it was quite small (mostly the wings and big head made it large.) hardly worthy of being called Behemoth.

I think the head is no problem.. combine a Werewolf/wolfen head with bitbox horns. the *mohawky* manes probably need to be sculpted yourself on it (also to fix the head/body combo.) tail can come from lizard/dragon types out there.

I actually dont know too many monster miniature manufactures (most focus on characters.)

maybe a bigger scale non-gaming purpose sabretooth tiger can be found somewhere ? (tough the body would be not long enough really.)

if prepainted miniatures can be counted, one idea (for the basic body.) :

http://www.ludikbazar.com/product_info.php?products_id=34020

Didn't they have some action figures/plastic models from Final Fantasy? Any of those close enough in scale?

(True fact: I've never played a single Final Fantasy game.)

I was thinking *havent I seen a miniature exactly as behemoth before.* and you may be right that this one was made allready.

they are not action figure size tough, so might be too small for what you want. (the set also had cerberus and obviously bahamut.)

let me see if I can find it.

(Im still not 100% sure behemoth was among the set tough ;))

http://www.japanesetoylink.com/Square-Enix/Figures/SQEF-FF004.htm

I think thats the serie Im referring to, tough this is volume 5

I think its too small when I look at the price ;)

found him :

http://www.ffmerchandise.com/CreaturesBehemoth.htm

he too hasnt got all 4 on the ground tough :)

Edited by Illustrange
found it

Thanks for that Link Illustrange. I've actually seen some of those figures before at a game shop. They had Leviathan (the big water elemental wyrm) and another one if I remember correctly. They were "sort of" to scale with the 28-32mm stuff, but were flirting with the small end of the scale.

At least I'll be able to use the current information to hopefully find more of the FF toy plastic minis and see if they are worthwhile or not. I think I remember them being ok quality, but they might be just a bit too small for mini gaming purposes.

• 1 month later...

Hey thetang22,

I have the little plastic gashapon Final Fantasy Behemoth, and so you can see the size, I took his pic with what should be a familiar mini.

Sorry he's not for sale though. Behemoths are one of my favorite FF creatures! (I've played all the FF's from IV through X)

Lookout Vic!

VikkiandBehemoth003.jpg

:)