TGN Readers' Choice Awards

redstripe

TGN has decided to resume its annual award, the Readers' Choice Awards. Last year, there was some ballot stuffing (some are still pointing fingers at the Bush Administration) but its back in effect for this year.

There is a Fantasy and Pulp categories and I think a lot of great Wyrd miniatures would represent well, there. Here's the link so that you can nominate your favorite minis for the awards:

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2008/12/03/20532

I did my part, but I could not bring myself to vote for Lady Justice, I just do not see her as a Sci-Fi model. I think it is going to be real tough for the Silurids to win, there is a lot of good models in that list. The Death Marshals are in third at the moment, so lets hope that one pans out well.

Last years ballet stuffing was very obvious, I think it was the battle tech expansion that received over 800 votes in one night, and everything went down hill from there. This year is a much better format, and I believe we will have a much more honest result.

Much as I like to show solidarity, I'm afraid I'm not going near this again this year. Last year it consumed far too much of my energy and caring over a mini that I wasn't even that bothered about in the first place. Me and my principles and my wanting explanations ... "Why wasn't the most popular choice in the shortlist?"

"We're 'media' so we don't have to explain ourselves to the likes of you." [but obviously without even that virtue of honesty.]

Well **** you then! [Feels temperature rising again....]

Zac does the best he can, he has helpers, but he is just one dude, doing it for fun. If some of the biggest corporations in the world can't stop spammers and hackers, how do expect Zac too? Plus it is just for fun, if you want to prove one mini is the best, paint it really swell. Some miniature companies have benefitted from being regularly painted by people online. I know my Nurgle website has caused more than a few people to play Plaguemarines over the years, same with Deathguard.org and Jean Francois's site which is now gone...

The mini's look really good in the Wyrd catalogue, but do you think the average Hordes or Warhammer players spends much time at wyrd-games.net? This contest especially the links can open some eyes. I voted and nominated early, but I've been checking back to see what else gets nominated, in case there is something I missed that I have an idea on how to paint it up cool.

Vote or don't vote, Zac won't lose any sleep over it.

To be honest my care meter is not that high. All this is in reality is a poll of how many people support/play x game. If it was a true measure of the quality of a game/model they could allow nominations, but all rankings would be done by a small panel that had access to all the product nominated.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that it has come to the last few days of voting in the TGN Readers' Choice Awards.

The Death Marshals seem to be doing very well in their category, Pulp/Horror.

Perhaps as a harbinger from the future to warn Malifaux of its dire fate, Lady Justice is representing well in the Sci-fi category.

Death Marshals and Silurid Slaves are also in the Editor's Choice nominations. I'm pretty happy to have the Jeremiah Kraye and Cankerworm figures I sculpted nominated to that as well.

As far as the point of these things polls and whether they are just popularity contests or not isn't really important. Anything that makes others aware of products they may have missed is a good thing for the hobby as a whole. There are other pieces nominated that I hadn't seen before and I'm glad to have seen them.

And really, it is nice to see things I've worked on are appreciated.

The TGN Awards are over. Here are the results:

Fantasy Miniature:

Winner: Captain Jeremiah Kraye by Privateer Press

Runner-up: Gilles de Rais by Asmodee

Sci-fi Miniature:

Winner: Aragoto Senkenbutai by Corvus Belli

Runner-up: Lady Justice by Wyrd Miniatures

Historical Miniature:

Winner: Plastic French Napoleonic Line Infantry 1812-1815 by Perry Miniatures

Runner-up: Pirate Girls 2 by Black Scorpion Miniatures

Pulp/Horror Miniature:

Winner: Death Marshalls by Wyrd Miniatures

Runner-up: Iron Train by Pulp Monster

Terrain or Accessory product:

Winner: Citadel Realm of Battle Gameboard by Games Workshop

Runner-up: Custom 20 Tokens by Litko Aerosystems

Game or Expansion:

Winner: Alkemy by Kraken Editions

Runner-up: Warmachine Legends by Privateer Press

-----------------------

As you can see, Wyrd won the Pulp/Horror category with the Death Marshals and Lady Justice, perhaps surprisingly, earned honorable mention in the Sci-fi category. The Aragoto Senkenbutai is a really bitchin' model. Maybe he's swerving on his bike like that because he just saw Lady J on the side of the street.

I wasn't aware that our very own Caffeinated had sculpted Kraye and I think he deserves a big hand for winning such a tough category. Kraye has easily been one of my favorite Warmachine figures in a long time.

I was also very pleased to see Iron Train on the list. Pulp City is a great game and they have some great miniatures.