Bow and Arrow Tutorial

Jabberwocky

I have always thought archer minis should have bowstring and a little arrow--otherwise it is just a stick. I have fiddled with various materials (and will continue to do so) but this is how is like to do my archers currently:

Step 1: Materials for the Bow

The essentials for me are superglue, scissors, tweezers, and bowstring material. I have the luxury of getting some 7-0 or 6-0 surgical thread, but I have also used sewing thread. I have not had much luck with hair; my daughter's was too fine and I don't have any pets. Asking random strangers for their hair seemed a bit creepy. Fine 0.3 mm twine can also be used with good effect.

Bowandarrowtuttools1.jpg

Step 2: Attaching the Bowstring

Here I have taken the tip of the string and dipped it in a bit of superglue. Both regular and the more gel like superglue will work. I prefer the gel type as it sticks just where I put it and won't run as much.

BowTut1.jpg

The end of the string is then attached to the hand and held in place for a few minutes while the glue drys. I have not made any modifications to the mini itself prior to this; however, a small hole drilled in place (or even through the hand entirely) would be an alternative to help secure it in place.

BowTut2.jpg

Once the glue has dried a bit, pull the string taught and wrap it around the bow a few times. Add another drop of superglue and allow it to dry. Take your scissors and snip the end.

BowTut3.jpg

Repeat the process with the bottom half of the bow.

BowTut4.jpg

Step 3: Making the arrow

Things are looking better, but unless the pose is a passive one or of the character pulling out an arrow, there is more to do. For this part of the process you need a thin stick pin, greenstuff, and some clippers.

Bowandarrowtuttools2.jpg

Clip off the head of the pin and cut it to size. I usually do a dry fit with some tack to make sure it is the right length.

ArrowTut2.jpg

Take some greenstuff and flatten it out. Do to the scale, you will want it really thin. Once it has cured, score the greenstuff and cut out the fletching.

ArrowTut3.jpg

Take some superglue (again the gel is preferred here in my opinion), and hold the greenstuff with tweezers in place on the end of the pin. This is probably the most difficult part of the process. Repeat this twice, spacing the fletching about 120 degrees apart.

ArrowTut4.jpg

ArrowTut5.jpg

Primer and paint as you normally would. I tend to leave the tip of the pin unpainted.

ArrowTut6.jpg

ArrowTut7.jpg

Finally, secure the arrow in place with some more superglue.

BowTut5.jpg

I hope you find this helpful! It is a bit of work to get it done, but in my opinion, adds a lot to a mini.

I like it but have 2 concerns.

First, you put the arrow on the wrong side of the bow. An arrow is laid on the same side of the bow as the hand gripping the bow. It will either rest on the hand or on some sort of protrusion or notch on that side of the bow. If not, the arrow has a strong tendency to fall off or to curve to the other side.

That is just a pet peeve. It bugs me in movies too - also when they put the feathers pointing the wrong way. In the above picture, if you put the arrow on the other side of the bow, the feathers are ok. On this side though, you will either strip off your fletching or cause the arrow to make a sharp left turn upon leaving the bow.

My second concern is with how minis are sculpted. I thought long and hard about what to do with my old High Elf archers. Then I realized the bows are not bent enough to be fully drawn. They are sculpted as though the archer has just let an arrow fly. The string then should be straight vertical and the hand empty.

In yours, if he were to let go and his bow straighten out, his string would flop around with a lot of slack in it.

Maybe I'll try reshaping the bows so they are fully flexed then following your stringing method. I agree it looks better strung and with an arrow.

First, you put the arrow on the wrong side of the bow. An arrow is laid on the same side of the bow as the hand gripping the bow. It will either rest on the hand or on some sort of protrusion or notch on that side of the bow. If not, the arrow has a strong tendency to fall off or to curve to the other side.

Ahh! I had no idea. I'll correct that in the future and be cognizant of the fletching orientation as well. Thanks!