Assembly challenges with two arms holding the same object

Frugalbar

My two cents on a Wyrd assembly challenge and potential solution...

One of the biggest challenges I've ran into with assembling Malifaux minis is the "two arms to one object" issue:
Both arms are separated and have to be glued to the body.... but also the hands have to come together to interact with the same object.

You can see it on models like the Union Miners 1 & 3, Rat Catcher 1, McTavish, Guild Patrol 4, Young Nephilim 4...

This kind of sculpt adds more dynamics and drama than a figure just holding an item in one hand.

But the trial is trying to get the arms and hands to line up.
Most glues/liquid cement don't have enough strength to keep one arm in place until it starts to dry.
And once you're in that sweet-spot of "drying but not dry" - you're up against the clock to get the other arm on and the hands lined up right.

If you fiddle with either arm too much, you break contact at one point for one of the limbs.  
Then you have to start over with gloppy contact point for a shoulder or hand, and it makes subsequent attempts more challenging.

And yes, I always dryfit and use poster tack / silly putty first to see how everything lines up.
These sculpts are beautiful but also very exact, so if you're off just a tiny bit you have something that looks "off".
So fiddling is necessary... and overfiddling in a short time is probable.

In the past I've just accepted that a solid 45-90 minutes would be needed to assemble just this part.
And even at that, one shoulder was still going to need a serious amount of green stuff or milliput to fill a giant crack.

But I've found a solution that uses two glues and one tool.
Now it takes me about 5 minutes or less with great results.

And I know @dgraz said to step out of the dark ages and stop using super glue.
But - forgive me - I'm breaking out my tunic and re-opening Ye Olde Shoppe for this one application.

ITEMS NEEDED

• Quick Grip All Purpose Permanent Adhesive (NOT the liquid solvent for plastics)
  • Super Glue Gel (I tend to use Loctite)
  • Disposable Micro Applicator Brush for Makeup and Personal Care (link below)

STEP 1
Put the Quick Grip tube on a paper towel and open the cap.   Put a dab of it on the contact point of one arm.
By dab, I mean very, very little - about 25%-50% of the contact point in the center.  
If you get too much on, you can wipe it off with your fingers, roll the excess between your fingers in a ball and flick off.

Then add the 1st arm to the joint.

You want to avoid Quick Grip from oozing out of the joint.
If that happens, pull the part out, wipe out the excess, and try again.

STEP 2
Repeat with the other arm.

STEP 3
Fiddle to get everything lined up right.  
Quick grip is gummy so it will take a while to cure and yet still hold the piece in place.

STEP 4

If you can walk away from the mini and let it cure overnight, this might be enough adhesive. (Skip to step 5)
But I tend to go one step further using super glue gel at the shoulders.

You need to pull the arm from the shoulder joint a TINY bit to squeeze some super glue gel in there.
If the gel oozes out - don't panic. See Step 6

Note: Once the two glues interact, fiddle time is over. The connection will dry hard in 20 seconds or less.

STEP 5

Connect the hand connections with a tiny amount of super glue gel. 
You might need an applicator to wipe (see Step 6).
Do NOT use Quick grip here.  
Wyrd's hand connections are too fine and oozing/gloop will happen.

STEP 6
Once done with both arms, if any of the gel glue has oozed out from the arm joint you can wipe it off with a micro-applicator.
(Props to Ninjon on youtube for pointing this one out.)

DISADVANTAGES
Unseen oozing from quick grip.
If you missed a spot in Step One, I've heard you could use acetone on a cotton
Acetone will eat the plastic, so once you get your ooze bubble removed wipe it down gently - but multiple times - with a dry swab or cloth.

About 90% of the quick grip gets wasted.
Once the 2oz tube starts pushing out adhesive, it keeps going.  This is why it's under a paper towel in Step 1.
If you don't get the cap on quickly, you get a small marble-sized ball of glue that you're basically throwing away.

Depending on the challenge of the model, I sometimes let the gloop flow to focus on the model.
I'd rather spend another $7-10 US once every 6 months or so and be happy with the assembled model than panic to save some glue.

As always your mileage may vary...

• Like 2