Rig the Deck - Lynch

Mike Moore

Question

Hey folks. 

Quick question around the rig the Deck ability in Lynch's Honeypot crew. Reading the rule it appears that you draw 1/2/3 cards (depending on the character) and then place the same number back again in any order. However, the final comment in brackets has me confused on my reading of the rule; (before discarding for maximum hand size). If you are drawing the same number of cards you are then placing your hand will stay the same size so you'd never have to discard so the brackets statement is always irrelevant. Is the implication that the second half of the action is optional? So if you draw two you could place back one, or none? I see nothing the FAQ around this or online so maybe I'm missing something, still nee to the game. 

Many thanks 

4 answers to this question

The (before discarding for maximum hand size) is to clarify that the second half of the ability occurs before you are forced to discard.

As an example you activate Jakob lynch with 5 cards in your hand. You use rig the deck to draw an additional 2. Normally you would immediately have to discard two card as you were now over hand size, but with the clarification from the brackets you only have to discard to hand size if (somehow) you are above 5 cards after you have placed 2 cards back in top of the deck.

So with the brackets, you draw 2 and then place 2 back on top, ending with the same number of cards as you started with and having to discard no cards.

Without the brackets, you draw 2, are over hand size and discard down to 5, and then are forced to placed 2 cards on the top of your deck putting you at a reduced hand of 3 cards.

The bracketed text is purely to confirm that you aren't being forced to follow hand size rules until the ability is fully resolved.

1 hour ago, TimH said:

Without the brackets, you draw 2, are over hand size and discard down to 5, and then are forced to placed 2 cards on the top of your deck putting you at a reduced hand of 3 cards.

Maximum hand size is six.

@Mike Moore If you want a reference, it’s pg 7 of the rulebook, second paragraph under The Control Hand.

You always completely resolve any action, trigger, or ability before you are required to discard down to hand size. 

In this case, the text in the parentheses are strictly for clarification that you place the cards on top of the deck before you would be required to discard any. 

4 minutes ago, TheUnseemlyOne said:

Maximum hand size is six.

@Mike Moore If you want a reference, it’s pg 7 of the rulebook, second paragraph under The Control Hand.

You always completely resolve any action, trigger, or ability before you are required to discard down to hand size. 

In this case, the text in the parentheses are strictly for clarification that you place the cards on top of the deck before you would be required to discard any. 

I know it is 6, I have no idea why I consistently typed 5 throughout my answer😆.  Thanks for the correction.