Nexus2 Join Us

Lorde

Question

1 answer to this question

There isn't really a clear answer to this.  I have a suspicion that Wyrd will errata this and when they do issue that guidance I would gamble they will clarify it to just summon 1 Eyes and Ears.   

Anyway, the rules in question.

Join Us:  Once per turn.  Enemy Only. Target gains a parasite token.  Until the End Phase, after the target is killed, summon an Eyes and Ears into base contact with it.

“ONCE PER” EFFECTS A model can only take an Action or Ability that is once per Activation once during an Activation. A model can only take an Action or Ability that is once per Turn once on any given Turn. These Restrictions are all by Action (or Ability) and model, so a given model could, for example, take multiple once per Activation effects so long as they were on different Actions or Abilities. Additionally, multiple models that have the same Action (or Ability) with a once per Activation can each use that effect once per Activation. Some of these effects have additional modifiers, such as being restricted to targeting a specific model once per Activation. These work the same way, with the specific Restrictions mentioned.

So "Once Per Turn" is a per model limitation.  So each Nexus Kid can declare it once per turn.   You could argue that this is unclear, because the rules specifically spell out that multiple models can use the same once per activation ability on their turns, but similar language is not present in once per turn abilities.  However there is nothing in the rules that would support denying multiple nexus kids from declaring the trigger, and there is nothing stopping them from declaring the trigger on the same enemy model.  

And a comparable question answered by the FAQ

10. Challenge – Are the effect of the Challenge Action cumulative? a) Yes. A model can be under the effect of two different Challenge Actions provided they are generated from different models.

Challenge is comparable because it is an effect that is placed on a model, that is not a status ailment- such as fast, slow, etc.  The general rules shown by challenge is that as long as different models are applying an effect they stack.    Now, this is a comparable and its not really binding, as the FAQ specifically only addresses Challenge and not other statuses.  But the rules don't really lay out a solid ground rule on whether or not conditions like this stack, and whenever this has cropped up before, it has been ruled in favor of staking.  

So, as far as I can tell, the effects would stack, on the same model, and if you killed that model, you could get up to three Eyes and Ears (one for each Nex Kid who hit the trigger).  

THAT SAID, if you value friendships and opponents willing to play against you, I would highly recommend self policing here.  Nexus2 is already by and large considered one of the most powerful Masters in the game- up with Yan Lo2, Hoff2, and Justice2, and Nex Kids are still insanely powerful even if you limit yourself to a single Eyes and Ears Summon off their triggers.   So unless you are in a cut throat environment, like a tourney, I would highly recommend playing it as not stacking, and its not a bad idea to get used to it not staking, as I think an errata of Nex Kids will take that away as its a low effort fix.  

• Like 1