Master for learning alongside Colette?

Emm

Hey y'all, I've lurked and stared at Malifaux from a distance on and off since 2e-ish and recently started looking at it again. My partner is interested in getting into it and starting with Colette, and I've been trying to think of a good box to play against Colette that won't feel one sided or get old after a few games. I was hoping I could pick the forums' brains for suggestions.

Thematically I really like the ladies of ressers, guild and neverborn (and Tara but that's about where my interest in outcasts falls off, unfortunately). I like the idea of movement / control tricks and summoning a lot, but don't necessarily need them all.

• Emm changed the title to Master for learning alongside Colette?

Warning first, Colette is a tricky master and crew to learn with, she is very scheme and attack sideways, it takes a little while to wrap your head that with Colette you're playing a Game much more than a War game. Still she is my favourite master and is a joy to play and paint.

Also check out the building on a budget videos on Schemes & Stones YouTube channel, useful information for starting out.

Now good against her? Depends on what you mean in part, good as in competitive, good as in easy to learn and play, good as in interesting? How you prioritize this will impact the selection.

Also the new titles really mix things up. Some of the title boxes (which contain 2 masters of different factions) are available at the GenCon online sale.

You seem inclined to take the fair lady masters (using the word fair very liberally in the case of Rezzers).

Note several masters have male/female alternate models if that impacts your thinking, notably Samantha Thrace is a female alt for Dashal who is an excellent Guild summoner master and would be a solid option. Others in Guild Nellie is super schemey and meant to be fun, very control, I've rarely played her. Perdita is a damage machine in base, but her title (available at GenCon sale) is gorgeous, really lots of sideways play, control, schemes, and summin-lite, everything you could want. So in Guild I'd go in order (1) Perdita (titled) (2) Thrace (as Dashal) and (3) Nellie. Then Justice and Sonnia backing up.

In Rezzers, the only master I have real experience with/against is Molly. Molly is a oppressive control master with some summoning, her title I haven't wrapped my head around though. Kirai is a big summoner in either form original and title, she is more control in title I think(??). Reva I simply do not really know. I'd go Molly simply because she is my favourite Rezzer fluff wise. For you, if you want a Rezzer get better advice than from me. 

Neverborn Pandora is a monster fun control master, but playing against her can be very oppressive,  her title is not released but is a summoner with control, so certainly for control then Pandora is a solid selection. Nekima is a smash face master in her original form, she does have a grow mechanic, making smaller models bigger but it is not as strong, her title plays more into growing models and summon-lite with less smash face, I'd strongly consider the title BUT it is not yet available for purchase. Titania is a control master this I know, but not a summoner, she is fun to play against (never played with her). Zoraida is a crazy obey master in her original incarnation, very control. Honestly in Neverborn I'd go all out Pandora, she is a great master.

But in the end of all the choices for my cash on the table I'd very much be inclined towards Perdita, you can buy her main crew box and the title box at the GenCon sale, giving you two different "versions" of the same master and crew, so variety, she plays pretty simply in her original format and her title is control with a small summon and potential grow mechanic and her crew has some movement tricks, literally everything you seem to want.

For this reason (although the title box is not available yet, its not at GenCon sale) I'd also strongly look at Pandora, because her title is packaged with Colette so when it does get released you and your partner effectively are in a perfect place to share Colette/Pandora. 

So my recommendations (1) Perdita title (and original) and (2) Pandora title (and original) [with title box including Colette title when released]. I place Perdita first because she is a simpler master to learn and play and less oppressive to play against and her title box (with the Bayou Gremlin Ophelia) is available at GenCon. In the perfect world Pandora and Colette (with both titles accessible) are a superb choice, both are tough to learn and yes Pandora can be oppressive but this combination seems to fit your goals perfectly (the problem is no idea when the title box gets released - but with the Malifaux app and printed cards between you both you could simply proxy).

Hope that helps, good luck and have fun with this wonderful game.

5 hours ago, dancater said:

using the word fair very liberally in the case of Rezzers

If only Tara were still a resser, I could make a joke about her having a good heart.

This is a super helpful write-up! Thank you. I'll try out Perdita with her new toys until my partner gets a feel for Colette then give Pandora or Thrace a shot!

• Like 1