Triggers

Martkenn

Question

Hi all, new to the game and had a question regarding triggers. So I get you need to meet the requirements however my question is, if you declare a trigger for example onslaught because you have the suit you need in the final duel total but you do not win the duel can you still complete the trigger action?

1 answer to this question

59 minutes ago, Martkenn said:

Hi all, new to the game and had a question regarding triggers. So I get you need to meet the requirements however my question is, if you declare a trigger for example onslaught because you have the suit you need in the final duel total but you do not win the duel can you still complete the trigger action?

It depends on the trigger. In this example, the onslaught trigger has no timing indicated, which means it has the default trigger timing:

"If a Trigger does not list a timing, it is treated as an After succeeding Trigger."

After succeeding triggers obviously require you to win the duel. So in the case of onslaught, if you do not win the duel then no trigger.

Other triggers, however do not require the duel to be successful, for example if the timing is immediately:

"Immediately: These Triggers resolve in the Declare Triggers step. They often modify the duel itself in some way."

In this case the trigger occurs before the final duel total is determined, so the trigger actually happens first.

Page 12 of the digital rulebook explains the different trigger timings pretty well. For example another one is after resolving.

"After resolving: These Triggers happen after the Action is complete, regardless of success or failure, but only if the model that declared the Trigger is still in play."

If you have any specific examples that page 12 doesn't help with post again and someone will sort you out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1