When do you need to declare Colette's defensive triggers

Design Dragon

Question

Never played Colette before, but I KNOW this issue will come up when I play her:

I know triggers are usually declared after neither player wants to cheat their duel anymore, but is it the same with triggers like the below? Can I decide after damage is taken on whether or not I want to use it, or do I need to declare the trigger as usual after both players are done cheating during the duel?

e.g. Justice uses her one attack action. Flips severe damage. Can I now declare to use Colette's trigger or do I need to declare that before she flips severe damage?

The reason I ask is because if she flipped minor, I may not want to waste my scheme marker.

e.g. Justice uses her one attack action, kills Colette. Can I now declare to use Colette's trigger or do I need to declare that before she actually kills Colette?

The reason I ask this is more for clarify. I have no idea whether the attack is going to kill her beforehand or not lol. If I have the suit (it's built in), can I just declare the trigger if I die from the attack?

Triggers:

Df/Wp (:mask) Now you see me...: After suffering damage, discard target scheme marker within 1" to reduce the damage to 0, then place this model anywhere within 6".

Df/Wp (:tome) Death Defying: When this model is reduced to 0 wounds, it may be placed in base contact with target friendly model with a cost of 5 or more within 8". Sacrifice the target and then heal an amount of damage equal to the target's remaining wounds plus one.

4 answers to this question

You always declare triggers right after both players have decided whether to cheat or not. You can't wait to see how much damage you'll take etc.*

In the case of Death Defying, since it says "may", you can decide whether to use it or not after you've seen damage, but you still have to declare it before the damage flip. In the case of Now You See Me... you have to do it if you declare it.

*in casual games, people can be pretty lax though if you forget a trigger - especially when no new information is revealed (e.g. on a summon), but by the book you have to declare immediately

2 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

You always declare triggers right after both players have decided whether to cheat or not. You can't wait to see how much damage you'll take etc.

In the case of Death Defying, since it says "may", you can decide whether to use it or not after you've seen damage, but you still have to declare it before the damage flip. In the case of Now You See Me... you have to do it if you declare it.

Drat, was hoping that wasn't the case. Oh well

Just now, The MechE said:

Drat, was hoping that wasn't the case. Oh well

For what it's worth, in a casual game with something like Death Defying I would normally let you assume you declared it since it's built in and there's no reason not to (since it says "may"), but it's a good habit to get into to declare triggers that are "auto-declares" like that just because then you're following the rules to the letter and can't be called on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dogmantra said:

For what it's worth, in a casual game with something like Death Defying I would normally let you assume you declared it since it's built in and there's no reason not to (since it says "may"), but it's a good habit to get into to declare triggers that are "auto-declares" like that just because then you're following the rules to the letter and can't be called on it.

Thanks, good to know in case it comes up.