Malifaux tournament report: Sins of the North (50SS); 25Jun2016

Argentbadger

Last year I had the pleasure to attend the Kings of the North festival held at the Moor House Adventure Centre (i.e. a Scout camp) near Durham for 2 days of Malifaux goodness. After some reorganisations, the equivalent event took place this weekend, this time under the banner of Fated Festival. This post is about the story encounter run by Connor Barker on the Saturday.

The event was structured with three sets of three tables and some match-making jiggery-pokery to ensure that each player got to play on each of the sets once. In addition to the schemes and custom strategy for each table, there were other things that could be done to earn clues to a mystery. Winning the game was worth one clue, as was playing a fully painted crew, taking a certain pre-specified scheme from the pool (and scoring at least two points from it). Each table also had a special condition that variously affected the game state and allowed one player to get another clue. Finally, each master had a list of things to do for clues; for example one of Leveticus's was to keep his favourite waif alive for the whole game.

Game 1: Outcasts (me) vs Outcast (Maria)

Strategy: Shindig; Handbags and Gladrags (like Squatter's Right, but instead of tagging the marker you could pick them up and wander off with them); random deployment

Schemes
Pool: Convict Labour, Hunting Party, Exhaust Their Forces, Catch And Release, Search The Ruins
My Outcasts: Hunting Party, Search The Ruins
Maria's Outcasts: Catch And Release, Hunting Party
Story scheme: Interact with a remarkably tough neural Performer in the middle of the board to get her to your deployment zone.

Crews
My Outcasts: Leveticus (Tally Sheet, Desolate Soul), 2 Hollow Waifs, Rusty Alyce (Desolate Soul), Freikorps Trapper, Freikorps Librarian, Johan, 2 Ronin, Hodgepodge Effigy
Maria's Outcasts: Hamelin (Infectious Melodies, Piper, Sewer King), Stolen, Ama No Zako (Oathkeeper), Nix (Oathkeeper), Hodgepodge Emissary (Conflux of Plague), Iggy (Oathkeeper), Crooligan

Maria and I had been out for a nice run before the event, but getting back a bit late resulted in our being paired together. Between the Shindig and random deployment I didn't really have any idea what would be good, so I just figured to take a straightforward crew for Leveticus that I knew I could make work. The advantage of this crew is that there are so many anchors that it can be tough to get rid of Leveticus permanently. I chose Hunting Party thinking that I could easily drop the Stolen and Crooligan, and that would force Maria to keep summoning other options for me to kill off for points. Search The Ruins felt like a good fit since I'd have to be in the middle of the board anyway.

imgp4321.jpg

Turn 1: Hmm, random deployment is a mess! My Ronin pushes the Performer my way. Nix tags her for Catch And Release. The other Ronin picks up a Squat marker on the right; the Emissary Blights her, tags her for the scheme and casually steals the marker off her. Johan picks up another Squat marker and Iggy sets him ablaze. Hamelin Obeys my Trapper to break the Shindig by shooting the Crooligan (scoring 2 points in the process), then Obeys the Crooligan twice to pick up a Squat marker and tag Johan. He finishes up by summoning a Stolen. Now that the gloves are off, Alyce guns down Iggy; Leveticus is foiled by bad cards trying to hurt the Emissary. Maria scores for Catch and Release.

imgp4322.jpg

Turn 2: Johan smites the Crooligan to score Hunting Party and the Emissary kills a Waif to do the same. Nix disengages and collects another Squat marker. The Trapper kills both Stolen (this was a mistake; I should have left them be and hoped to pick them off later with Johan or Alyce). The Blighted Ronin bounces off the surprisingly resilient Emissary. Hamelin Obeys Ama No Zako twice to collect another Squat marker and the Librarian takes the last one. Alyce and Leveticus fail to finish Nix. We both score for the strategy, Maria scores again on Catch and Release.

imgp4323.jpg

Turn 3: The Emissary hurts the Ronin and gives the Memento trinket to Nix; sadly it can't push to within chain activation range. Leveticus polishes off Nix and knocks the Emissary down to a single wound. Ama No Zako drops Oathkeeper and charges in to kill the Trapper (Hunting Party). The right Ronin guts the Emissary and both Ronin do Seppuku (to stop Catch and Release). Hamelin Obeys Ama to collect the Squat marker dropped by Nix and flee; Johan charges in to put some big damage on her. We both score for the strategy again.

imgp4324.jpg

Turn 4: Johan Flurries to kill Ama No Zako. Hamelin walks over to pick up both Squat markers. My entire crew throw what they have at him, but it isn't enough. One surviving rat runs to escape my crew. We both score again for the strategy.

imgp4325.jpg

Turn 5: Leveticus kills Hamelin but none of my crew can reach that rat who is denying me the points for Hunting Party. I do score for the strategy though. My Outcasts lose 8 - 9 (4 for the strategy, 1 for Hunting Party and 3 for Search The Ruins for me; 3 for the strategy, 2 for the Shindig, 2 for Hunting Party and 2 for Catch and Release for Maria).

imgp4326.jpg

As with every game against Maria, I had an absolutely wonderful time. Every move Maria makes seems to make my own game plan harder to achieve and she is so focused and aware of how she'll score or deny VPs at all times. The move from Hamelin to break the Shindig by using Obey on my Trapper was very clever and really set the tone. My biggest mistake was wasting shots from the Trapper to kill Stolen in turn 2; I should have put them into Hamelin to either eat resource or soften him up for later. That would have given me more targets of opportunity for scoring Hunting Party. Everything else worked reasonably well; there was no danger of losing Leveticus to a mis-placed anchor or Waif. I had hoped to use the Tally Sheet / Hodgepodge Effigy / Abomination summoning machine in this game but somehow I just couldn't get it going at all.

Game 2: Outcasts (me) vs Guild (David)

Strategy: Headhunter, normal deployment

Schemes
Pool: Convict Labour, Mark For Death, Show Of Force, Hunting Party, Undercover Entourage
Outcasts: Hunting Party, Undercover Entourage (Leveticus)
Guild: Hunting Party, Undercover Entourage (Joss)
Story scheme: Pick a piece of terrain in the far half of the board, then end the game with two scheme markers next to it

Crews
Outcasts: Leveticus (Tally Sheet, Desolate Soul), 2 Hollow Waifs, Taelor (Scramble), Freikorps Trapper, Freikorps Librarian, Johan, 2 Ronin, Hodgepodge Effigy
Guild: Hoffman (Arcanist Assets, On Site Assimilation, Field Mechanic), Joss, Mechanical Attendant, Ryle, Guardian, Mobile Toolkit, Howard Langston

I took exactly the same crew as before, only swapping in Taelor for an extra Relic Hammer at the expense of Alyce. Partly the reason for keeping mostly the same crew was for story reasons, but a crew with a good number of minions has a chance to pick up heads while the elites make sure there are plenty of heads lying around. Undercover Entourage on Leveticus is not hard to score (though it is quite easy to see coming) and I chose Hunting Party as there were only three targets and I felt that I could take them all out.

imgp4327.jpg

Turn 1: Hoffman is pulled forward by the Attendant. He Slows it, Power Loops Langston and the Guardian, then give Joss Hydraulics and Ryle Targeting Systems. Finally, he Machine Puppets both Ryle and Langston forward. The Trapper picks off the Mechanical Attendant. Ryle walks forward, pushes away from Joss and finds himself in range of two Waifs; he nearly guns them both down but they survive on one wound. The Toolkit puts armour on Langston who moves up right into my face (I was trying to tempt him in with Joss so I could apply Taelor but David didn't take the bait); he pulls Hoffman with him. The Librarian shouts at Ryle.

imgp4328.jpg

Turn 2: Langston moves in and Flurries Johan; I let him die to Decapitate on the first attack as it was probably not worth the needed resources to keep him alive. Leveticus fails to kill Ryle. Joss hurts a Ronin; the Librarian finishes Ryle off. The Guardian Protects Joss. Hoffman Loops Langston Machine Puppets Joss to kill the Ronin (scoring a point for Hunting Party) and picks up a nearby head. The Ronin on the left is too far away from Ryle's head to get it. Taelor smashes the Guardian for my Hunting Party. David scores Headhunter.

imgp4329.jpg

Turn 3: Langston bounces off Taelor; I was sympathetic for the big guy considering the effect that Leveticus had been making on the games so far. The Trapper drops the Mobile Toolkit to lock in the rest of my Hunting Party points and pushes to engage Hoffman. Hoffman Power Loops Joss, Slows him, Machine Puppets Joss a couple of times to kill the Trapper (scoring for Hunting Party) and picks up a head. My Effigy picks up Ryle's head. Leveticus zaps a few wounds out of Joss, who runs for it. The Librarian and Taelor gang up to kill Langston. I get my Hunting Party point and we both score on the strategy.

Turn 4: Taelor kills Hoffman. Joss picks up a head and engages Leveticus, who hurts him but is careful not to give him Reactivate. The Effigy picks up another head. Leveticus reappears in David's deployment zone as this is the last turn. Outcasts win 8 - 7 (2 for Headhunter, 3 for Hunting Party, 3 for Undercover Entourage for me; 3 for Headhunter, 2 for Hunting Party, 2 for Undercover Entourage for David).

imgp4330.jpg

David a lovely chap to play against and it is great to see him out at events again. The score was close here, but I think that I could have made a bigger differential if we'd made it to turn 5 as Joss wasn't going to get to the end of another turn on two wounds left without Soulstones and facing down Taelor and Leveticus. I was a bit too cautious with the Ronin on the left at the start (I was afraid of getting her gunned down by Ryle) but in retrospect I should have been more aggressive; if she got killed I could have picked up her head and if not she'd have been in a better position the pick up his head and score for Headhunter on turn 2.

Game 3: Outcasts (me) vs Resurrectionists (Andrew)

Strategy: Stake A Claim, normal deployment

Schemes
Pool: Convict Labour, Show Of Force, Catch And Release, Exhaust Their Forces, Mark For Death
Outcasts: Convict Labour, Show Of Force
Resurrectionists: Show Of Force, Mark For Death
Story scheme: Models with one of the scheme conditions push toward a marker in the centre at the end of each turn; at the end the player with the fewest models within 6" of the marker gets a clue

Crews
Outcasts: Leveticus (Tally Sheet, Desolate Soul), 2 Hollow Waifs, Taelor (Scramble), Freikorps Trapper, Freikorps Librarian, Johan, 2 Ronin, Hodgepodge Effigy
Resurrectionists: Dr Douglas McMourning (Moonlighting, Evidence Tampering, Plastic Surgery), Nurse, Flesh Construct, Zombie Chihuahua, Guild Autopsy, Sebastian (Transfusion, These Are Not Ours), Mortimer (Corpse Bloat, My Favourite Shovel), Rafkin (Transfusion)

I find this board really tricky to play on as it is full of awkward places to move to, mixed with great places to hide if only you can get to them. Facing McMourning I thought that Taelor remained a good option (I kept Scramble as I needed it for Show Of Force; I'm not sure that the extra move was really that helpful and might have been better with something else). With so many places to hide I planned to use my numerous crew to spread out and drop markers for Convict Labour on the way to putting down Claim markers. I hoped to use the Trapper to drop a Claim marker at the start of turn 2 as I didn't have anything else that was going to be able to make it across the halfway line in time.

imgp4331.jpg

Turn 1: The Autopsy gets us underway by shooting the Trapper and flipping the Red Joker for damage, leaving him clinging to life. Rafkin throws yet more poison on the Flesh Construct, Mortimer drops various corpse markers and Sebastian summons a Canine Remains. The Nurse joins in the poison party on the Flesh Construct. The Trapper drops the Autopsy and the Librarian shoots the Flesh Construct. McMourning curses how awkward this board is to negotiate with pushes, and eventually kills the Trapper with scalpel to the face. Leveticus kills the Flesh Construct and summons an Abomination which moves in to annoy Rafkin and Mortimer.

imgp4332.jpg

Turn 2: Rafkin kills the Abomination. Leveticus kills the Canine Remains to summon another Abomination and puts a good number of wounds on Mortimer. The latter throws some poison onto Taelor and McMourning, finding himself stuck in an awkward corner, fails to Rancid Transplant Taelor. The Librarian kills Sebastian as Andrew forgot about Soulstoning damage. Johan kills the Nurse, and Taelor nearly kills Mortimer and pushes him away from the centre to stop him from scoring Show Of Force. The Abomination dies to poison and turns into a Canine Remains which is immediately charged and killed by Taelor with Welcome to Malifaux. I score for Show of Force and Convict Labour.

imgp4333.jpg

Turn 3: McMourning and Rafkin try to kill Taelor. Leveticus kills the Chihuahua and Mortimer, summoning Abominations from both. The Effigy puts down a Claim marker. Taelor and Johan kill McMourning and the Librarian kills Mortimer. Taelor eventually dies to Poison. I score for Stake A Claim and Convict Labour.

imgp4334.jpg

Turn 4: Johan charges Rafkin who hits back before Leveticus finishes the last Resurrectionist off. Outcasts win 7 - 0 (3 for Stake A Claim, 3 for Convict Labour and 1 for Show Of Force; nothing for Andrew).

That game was a lot of fun as we both tried to negotiate the challenges of the board, but Andrew was got his crew tangled up with each other and let me pick them off without reprisal; notably I was able to kill the Flesh Construct and Nurse for no risk. On my side, it all went pretty much to plan although I think that perhaps I should have taken a one-point upgrade on each of Johan and Taelor instead of Scramble on the latter to make Show Of Force a bit more realistic.

So once all the scores were in, the clues were read and various baffled players took their guesses at the story mystery, I managed to get one of them and come in second in the story game. I was probably somewhere around 4th or 5th in gaming terms. Connor put on a great event and I had a lovely time; the sheer amount of preparation work he had put in really paid off. So thanks to Connor for his great organisation, and thanks to Maria, David and Andrew for three fun games of Malifaux.

Yeah, another battle report from Argentbadger. :)

Very enjoyable read, thanks for that. Even if I wish there were less reports with Levi around, he seems to be everywhere these days (and very impressed that Maria, as such a high ranking Outcast player, never seems to play Leveticus!).

• Like 1

Thanks Mutter!

I think that the prevalence of Leveticus is more of a perception thing on the forums.  Since both Daniello_S and I have been blogging about him there is a lot of exposure in this sub-forum.  In general I don't see a lot of Leveticus at tournaments (actually, I think I never faced Leveticus) and my recent experience has been that Marcus is everywhere.  Of course, the sample size is tiny so it probably has no meaning.

Maria is a really top draw Outcast player.  She (and everyone else I meet at events) seems to select master based on the critical criterion of 'what will be fun'.  I can't presume to speak for her though, that is just my impression.

• Like 1