The Bunraku Art

So, after looking at the art for the Bunraku in Shifting Loyalties, I was struck with something that's been bothering me - specifically, that they appear to be marionettes and not actual Bunraku puppets, which have a totally different style.

Am I alone in this? I was super excited by the idea of animated bunraku, but the fact that they've got those strings has made me frown a bit.

Truthfully speaking, I haven't seen what a real bunraku looked like until recently.  While the strings take a little away from the authenticity of what it's original concept appears, I'm reminded that Malifaux is a game based on real life concepts and ideas, but put forth with Wyrd's own interpretation of it.

Not necessarily a deal breaker for me, but I'm having more trouble finding how the models would work in a TT crew than anything.  They have their uses, but nothing about them really "wow" me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's a problem with a lot of the ten thunders models, like the jorogumo art looks nothing like its yokai namesake. I remember in the beta for wave 2 shenlong was basically a fire breathing western style dragon until people said that's not what Asian dragons are like. I don't know if its ignorance of the source material or they try to steampunk/goth it up. I agree I think the bunraku art is really bad and will be proxying if the model looks like that.